How Many Inverts?

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here with a 40 gal Aquatop Recife. Is there a certain rule as to the number of inverts per gallon, tank size etc.? When would be a good time to add some? I've heard wait 2-3 weeks after stocking with your first fish, as you don't want them to starve; however should you wait until you see some algae? Is it possible to combat algae in the mean time to get ahead of things? Really appreciate the help...I love learning as I go

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that you should wait a bit before adding CUC so they have something to eat... As for how many per gallon really depends on what you want to buy, most online vendors tend to want to sell you packages of way more critters than you really need (I'd go with about half of what they recommend... you can always add more later if needed). Battling algae in the mean time would mean controlling the nutrient level in your water (test for nitrate and phosphate frequently and do water changes as needed), and don't keep your lights on too high or too long.

OP
OP
machtuck

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that you should wait a bit before adding CUC so they have something to eat... As for how many per gallon really depends on what you want to buy, most online vendors tend to want to sell you packages of way more critters than you really need (I'd go with about half of what they recommend... you can always add more later if needed). Battling algae in the mean time would mean controlling the nutrient level in your water (test for nitrate and phosphate frequently and do water changes as needed), and don't keep your lights on too high or too long.
Great, thanks! What CUC would you recommend? Variety is what got me back into fish keeping, so I'm not against having different types like brittle stars or shrimp other than your standard snails

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails, blue leg hermits, and a urchin make up the bulk of my CUC... if you have sand maybe add a sand star and a sea cucumber.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here with a 40 gal Aquatop Recife. Is there a certain rule as to the number of inverts per gallon, tank size etc.? When would be a good time to add some? I've heard wait 2-3 weeks after stocking with your first fish, as you don't want them to starve; however should you wait until you see some algae? Is it possible to combat algae in the mean time to get ahead of things? Really appreciate the help...I love learning as I go
I added a CUC from reef cleaners after my cycle ended and hair algae began to bloom. I got tons of dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, Astraea snails, Nassarius snails, and about 6 blue hermits.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding some macroalgae to a refugium would help control nuisance algae as they outcompete them for nutrients. However, I would add a CUC first to add some nutrients to your tank. I made the mistake of adding too much macroalgae at once, and my chaeto died off from lack of nutrients.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also feed your CUC supplementally until there is enough algae in the tank itself to sustain your inverts. I'd add inverts now -- as long as the tank has cycled -- if you plan to wait to add fish. You can use the display as an invert quarantine and avoid the risk of infecting incoming fish as long as you isolate for at least 45 (some prefer 72) days.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is like death and taxes for new tanks. To help you don't need lights on at all until coral get added. Once it starts showing up get the 25 gallon cleaner package from reefcleaners.org with hermits.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back