How many is too many?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently moved my 40 breeder to a new home (about 2 weeks ago). Been doing water changes and testing. Everything is looking good with the exception of losing my one clown during the move :(

I’m looking to add some new fish and corals but not sure how many fish is too many. I currently have:
1 osc clown
1 clown goby
1 citron goby
1 royal gramma
1 orchard dottyback
1 bangi cardinal
1 cleaner shrimp
1 pistol shrimp
2 emerald crabs
Bunch of hermits and snails
7 RBTAs (going to sell some soon though)

I would like to add another clown and a watchmen or sand-sifting goby.

Is that too much for my tank?

HOB filter, Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer, lots of rock for hiding

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maybe add one clown that is smaller than your current

Yeah that’s my plan for the clown. Going to go small and put it in a breeder box for a few hours to let the other fish see it and see how they react before placing directly into the tank

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the existing clown? Was this part of a pair?

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh maybe 2” lol I’m not sure I’ll try and get a better idea when I get home. They were pulled from the same petco tank and were paired up for a while in my DT.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may see aggression from the existing clown towards the new one, especially if the existing clown is already female. The suggestion about adding a small one is great, and the use of an acclimation box is a good idea, but it will still be a crap shoot. The fact that the tank was moved 2 weeks ago may be helpful, the more you can reset the territoriality the better.

How are the royal gramma, the clown, and the dottyback all getting along?

I think you could also add the watchman or sand sifter.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may see aggression from the existing clown towards the new one, especially if the existing clown is already female. The suggestion about adding a small one is great, and the use of an acclimation box is a good idea, but it will still be a crap shoot. The fact that the tank was moved 2 weeks ago may be helpful, the more you can reset the territoriality the better.

How are the royal gramma, the clown, and the dottyback all getting along?

I think you could also add the watchman or sand sifter.

So I did make a pretty significant change to the aquascape which I think will help break up the territorial concerns.

Surprisingly the dottyback and gramma are buds haha. They hang around each other most of the time and don’t seem to both each other at all. the dottyback is pretty small so I think that is helping everyone get along.

The gramma and clown have been together for a while now and are fine.

Think I’ll try a small clown and watchmen.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do see the existing clown attacking the new clown, you need to let it run its course. It might not even happen, but if it does and it gets bad enough (wounds, not eating, etc), you can separate the clowns for a little while to let the new one recover a bit - but not too long - the trick is trying to let them work it out without one of them getting killed.

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would think thats a pretty heavy stocking for a 40 gal especially as they grow but there are always different medias and dosing methods you can use to keep params in check

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would think thats a pretty heavy stocking for a 40 gal especially as they grow but there are always different medias and dosing methods you can use to keep params in check
I have a dosing pump ready to go when needed. I’ve been manually dosing for now when needed. It will take a little more effort with water changes and making sure the tank stays clean haha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back