How many of y'all run moon lights?

BoldCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine off when I was fighting Dinos, but have since turned it on. I have a mix of the blue and white on the XR30. I like the way it looks at night. Things seem to be doing well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short moon phase of 2 hours after lights out, then dark till morning.
I believe corals need a rest cycle in their photosynthetic processes

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run moonlight 11hours a day at 6% ramping up from 3am-10am - 6%peak - 9pm- 3am
On the my project nano.
357FBAF1-ADA6-4C76-A883-47425C8834E1.jpeg

I don’t use moonlight on the main 350reefer.

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get home late from work so I have my royal blues on at 15% when my main lights go off on my AI Prime. I set them to go off at midnight so they slowly ramp down until they completely turn off for the night. This let's me observe my aquarium after I get home when I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the moonlight cycle turned on in the AI fittings. It just runs all night and follows the lunar cycle.

Been running it that way since it was introduced.

The whole tank follows sunset/sunrise and moon times so in winter it's dark at 5pm.

Doesn't bother me as we work from home.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running the moonlights in my lights for a long time. I use the full waxing and waining feature in Mobius.

I don't know if it helps with any health for the animals, but I like it!!!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I ran the moon phase on my hydras. But have stopped except on my predator tanks. Not sure why, other than the fact that it is so bright in the room with 4 tanks and 12 different hydras showing even low blues.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the moon phase on my hydras. But have stopped except on my predator tanks. Not sure why, other than the fact that it is so bright in the room with 4 tanks and 12 different hydras showing even low blues.
When I ran it on my old Hydra's, I ran 3% red, 2% green, 1% royal blue (or blue I can't remember), which gave me a less jarring ghostly white which didn't feel as bright as the blues alone. It also mimicked pretty closely the spectrum of the moon itself. You may give it a try and see how you like it...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the people who use moonlight, run it all night? Do they follow the actual lunar cycle? I have hydra64s,
Mine runs all night.. the apex turns them on any where from 7pm to 9m and they’re on when I get up in the morning.. it runs the full moon cycle according to Neptune.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lsm module on my apex and run Neptune’s moon lights it works in unison with the actual lunar cycle.

Same. Probably more for me than for the fish/corals though .......

At one point I made a replacement string with cool white LEDS .... the moon isnt blue, after all. I ended up preferring the Neptune blue string though. Go figure.

The only issue I have found with running regular lights at 1% to simulate the moon is that they are still way too bright.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned on moon lights a few day's ago. It's the first time I've ever even tried them. At least now I know what combo I need to make my corals pop like the ones I see on vendors sites, blue lol. I left them on in the tank that houses my CBB. I had no idea he spent most of the night cruising the rocks picking. I turned them off on the other tanks. I don't know that it's ever totally dark in the house.

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my moon lights! They run about an hour after my other lights sink down. One of my small bio-cubes is in the bedroom and I love watching the moon lights before falling asleep...

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue moonlights in general are a very, very bad idea. Blue light is the light that can disturb circadian rhythm most easily. Expressed in simple words, it keeps organisms awake.

In fact real moonlight isn't blue at all, it is less blue than sunlight. Look at the full moon. Is it blue? No it is rather pale yellowish.

The impression that the landscape is blue under moonlight is an artifact created by human sight. The weak light activates only the rod cells in the eyes which create a kind of black-and-white image which we sense as bluish because rods are most sensitive for blue-green light.

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the moonlight cycle on my hydras, set at 3% deep blue max. The corals do react to it, not closing as tightly on fuller moons. I have no idea if it impacts health or functioning in any material way.
I am noticing that if my moonlight is off and therefore corals closed up earlier, than they are more big and energetic during the day.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue moonlights in general are a very, very bad idea. Blue light is the light that can disturb circadian rhythm most easily. Expressed in simple words, it keeps organisms awake.

In fact real moonlight isn't blue at all, it is less blue than sunlight. Look at the full moon. Is it blue? No it is rather pale yellowish.

The impression that the landscape is blue under moonlight is an artifact created by human sight. The weak light activates only the rod cells in the eyes which create a kind of black-and-white image which we sense as bluish because rods are most sensitive for blue-green light.
Interesting… the Neptune moon lights are blue but very weak! People have gotten corals to spawn under them… I mean it’s gotta be zero par lol.. not sure if they have white strings or not. I just got into this myself about a week ago and I have neptunes set up which is a 3 string blue over a huge foot print.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mean, when you're talking about light hitting the earth's surface, sure... Also, organisms with eyes that occupy the land and air are most definitely disturbed by blue light. However, the water filters out most of the red, yellow, and green light that happens to penetrate the ocean. So there is far more blue, purple, and ultraviolet light, making it to a reef 40 meters down, than red, yellow, and green light. In my mind, this problem only becomes worse with less intense light. I haven't read any studies about the effects of blue light on aquatic species' circadian rhythms, but I would guess that they're adapted to blue light and, therefore, filter most of it out (or their brains have adapted to utilize it in a different way than our brains do up here on the surface)... I could be wrong, though...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back