How many of you have done wood work with glaze?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm planning to use glaze on my stand. I have already stained it, so now I've bought the glaze and I'm planning to make it a bit darker than the stain (I'm actually planning to use the glaze with stain and just a bit of black paint mixed in). Just curious if you guys have used it before or not?

1.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a textured look?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you would want a dark glaze over a lighter color stain or paint. the dark glaze settles in the grooves, cracks, etc. not sure black on black would give you the result you're looking for.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then you would want a dark glaze over a lighter color stain or paint. the dark glaze settles in the grooves, cracks, etc. not sure black on black would give you the result you're looking for.
Thanks! It won't be black on black though. The stand is stained with a "golden mahogany" stain. I'm planning to use the glaze tinted to the color of the stain and a few drops of black paint added in to darken it a bit beyond the stain's normal color.

Here's the stand (partially) stained as of now.

1.jpg

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It won't be black on black though. The stand is stained with a "golden mahogany" stain. I'm planning to use the glaze tinted to the color of the stain and a few drops of black paint added in to darken it a bit beyond the stain's normal color.

Here's the stand (partially) stained as of now.

1.jpg
Looks good!

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, misunderstood. OK so I've used glaze for clients in the past and it turned out pretty cool.

I basically did everything in this video:

BTW, I only use general finishes products - paints, stains, top coats. it's all very high, professional quality. Can be very pricey though.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

Thanks!

Oops, misunderstood. OK so I've used glaze for clients in the past and it turned out pretty cool.

I basically did everything in this video:

BTW, I only use general finishes products - paints, stains, top coats. it's all very high, professional quality. Can be very pricey though.

That's a helpful video. I'm planning to basically do something similar except that it will be before I apply clear coat. I'm planning to practice a bit before I put it on anything that will be seen. I can practice on the bottom of the stand, inside of it (since I'll be painting over the inside anyway), etc. That way I can get my technique down before actually trying on the visible parts.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a coat of satin clear coat because it makes it easier to wipe off. without the clear coat you might get some interesting patterns because the glaze will soak into the wood more. or it will be a disaster. lol.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back