How many people run two Return pumps on their reef tanks??

U

User1

View Badges
Two as well. Have a Cor 20 on one (has the longer run to a corner 1" Sea Swirl) and a Cor 15 on the other. Both are 1" returns. Both can be swapped out. I also have my skimmer powered by a Cor 15 - so another back up if need be.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pumps two returns. Just not running yet.

Double Pumper1.jpg

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a build and will be running 2 dedicated dc return pumps. I'll have 3 more DC pumps running the rest of the filtration equipment.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run 2 returns, and boy am I sorry about that decision. I purchased a pump that has been a major PITA, and I'm on my 3rd RMA for it. I've had about 6-10 pump failures with this thing, but luckily it's occurred while I'm at work or home. So far, it's been 8 or 10 hours max without really causing much harm.

I'm very interested in adding a second pump, but not sure what the best way to accomplish that with an existing system is. Right now, I have my main pump directly plumbed to the DT, and it goes through a 3 manifold system. Only 1 of the manifolds are in use (rotating chaeto) and the other 2 are free. I've thought about plumbing a 2nd pump into one of the remaining manifolds, but if 1 pump fails, wouldn't all the water just go back through the failed pump? I guess I could use check valves or something, but I've read a bunch of warnings about using check valves, so I'm hesitant.

It sounds like it'd be best for me to put a 2nd pump in and just use one of those 'hang over the back' returns, but that'll look cheesy.

If you are just building the tank, my advice would be to plumb a 2nd return in there. I really wish I had.
@dhof -Yep, that is what I am going to be doing with my EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 and I just bought a brand new #ApexCor20 return pump, going use each pump for each return.
Feel Free to follow along my build thread since I am getting ready to start hard pluming my 1.5inch drains from my Synergy 20'' External Overflow box and my CL-44 Synergy sump.
Everyone that runs two return pumps, would you mind sharing some pictures of how you hard plumbing your two return pumps?
''
I'm giving the ApexCOR20's a try as well. As a matter of fact, 5 of them to run everything.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I run two returns on my 240 one pump per return and they go directly to it. I use the current 3200gph return dc pumps and they are dead silent and just have been excellent. Speaking of which I should probably clean since they have been there now over a year and a half but run great.

The reason for me is because I want control over all my flow. Which is also why each one of my wave makers has its own manifold also. I can tell each one what I want it to do which is nice :)

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I run two returns on my 240 one pump per return and they go directly to it. I use the current 3200gph return dc pumps and they are dead silent and just have been excellent. Speaking of which I should probably clean since they have been there now over a year and a half but run great.

The reason for me is because I want control over all my flow. Which is also why each one of my wave makers has its own manifold also. I can tell each one what I want it to do which is nice :)
Nice!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

They truly have been amazing and actually all of their items still really impress me. What amazes me the must is their amazing customer service and I have never seen such great service. I’m excited to see their new pro led light coming out this year.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Bashsea sump? Love those things.

Thanks. Just put it in last month. It’s the signature series 36 in blue and black. I really like it. And it came with a free shirt

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Ecotech return pumps on 2 separate sea swirls and one of them runs my manifold. I like the safety of having redundancy anywhere I can do it. I realize it’s not exact redundancy since they are separate returns but I will have flow through the sump and it is only temporary

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about running dual, redundant pumps; just never got around to it. Since I use decades-reliable brands like pan world or iwaki, never actually have had a return pump fail. So the ‘urgency’ is diminished.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RobW - I was talking with Bashsea the sump MFG and Geo Reef and they both would not make work with me on some slight modifications that had to be done since I am going to be running my Turbo Algae Scrubber.
Synergy out of Cali had no problem working with me exactly to nail it, especially when you're ready to drop over 1200 on a sump and matching ATO! Plus, Synergy sumps are made to order vs the Bashsea sumps which was another reason why i choose Synergy. All their sumps are made to order.
Here is a shot of just the Main Drain that has a 1.5inch gate valve plumbed and I am working on my emergency drain.
Plumbing my CL-44.#5.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pumps two returns. Just not running yet.
Double Pumper1.jpg

@Fin - Very nice pic of EcoTech Marine Vectras!, man have you seen the new one that is getting ready to come out, dam they look nice.
Anyhow, I had a quick question, where did you get that vibration mat that's under your two Vectras?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an apex there is no point in 2 return pumps. Should you have one ready? Yes. But i would’nt run it.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin - Very nice pic of EcoTech Marine Vectras!, man have you seen the new one that is getting ready to come out, dam they look nice.
Anyhow, I had a quick question, where did you get that vibration mat that's under your two Vectras?
Just a silicone trivet off of Amazon.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back