How many people run two Return pumps on their reef tanks??

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an apex there is no point in 2 return pumps. Should you have one ready? Yes. But i would’nt run it.
The reason I am running two is because I have had a pump go down while I was traveling. Having an extra pump on the shelf would have done me no good. I wasn't there to change it.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 2

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 mainly because one flows through my uv at a lower gph than the other one, with the added benefit of redundancy if one fails.

RabbitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on my plumbing on a new build. While plumbing the drains I have thought I may want to just run two return pumps, I have the space, and not to mention I will probably need to anyways. I have a 1/3 chiller as well, and with two pumps I can return one pump through the chiller back to the display, which I wasn't able to do so on the original plans. I don't have a UV, but wanted to preplan the plumbing just in case I decide to do so.

Thinking to run one pump to a manifold (to power anything additional I may want to add) and then to one of the return bulkheads on the tank.
The other pump run through the chiller and then back to the tank.

Which pump? Chiller is a 1/3 JBJ which I believe is rated at a max of 2400gph.
I have a varios6(1700gph) and a varios8(2700gph). Buy an additional varios8 and turn it down, or buy an additional varios6 and turn it up?

Running a bean animal with 1" pvc and dual 3/4" returns. Thanks

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some impressive set ups! I personally have not run two nor will I be likely to do it in the future. Too many cords and complications for me already! I don't travel that much and when I do have someone check on the tank. The house stays 70 ish most the year so really worst case my temp drops from 76 to 70 for a while. No big deal to me. When I or someone notice it just put a heater in the DT - if it ever happens but in decades of running fish tanks I have never had a quality a/c pump fail.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the COR20's

I like them a lot; Quite and powerful.

I am only running them at 30% right now. Since the system still tuning but it looks like 30% will be enough.

I have taken the pumps apart because I am a curious fellow and I was impressed with the internal design. There is a ball end hex wrench included which really impressed me.

However, I have no experience with any other pumps because this is my first tank.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an apex there is no point in 2 return pumps. Should you have one ready? Yes. But i would’nt run it.

Does apex have a new module that swaps out your pump with a spare when you’re away?

I have literally been in the situation of being two states away with family for Easter and needed to call a friend to go to my house and walked him through finding some spare tubing and rigging up a backup return with a spare pump. Apex alerted me to the problem, but did nothing to actually fix it. Obviously the apex was still crucial in the example above, but knowing of the failure is only half the solution.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pair of Vectra pumps. The main reason is I want to have the reassurance that if one pump dies the other will keep the tank going. Each pump is hooked into a different energy bar and unique UPS so that it would take a lot for both to go down. Would much rather have two pumps instead of 1 larger pump for the entire system, just the way my head looks at things.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a second M1 for my new build and currently run 2! I'm a big fan of redundant everything :)

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two, one in sump and one externally, plumbed inline of each other.

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting my new SCA Rimless 150 build! I am just waiting on my ApexCOR20 return pump. I have decided that I am going to be running one Verta M1 return pump for my manifold and the ApexCOR20 will be used for my main return pump for my 1'' returns,.
Synergy 20'' External Overflow box.
Ext Overflow box.jpeg

Synergy CL-44
54255076_10219158042090606_5123746248683159552_n.jpg
I run two return pumps. They are both Neptune COR20. The reason I do is because I am running two sumps, a frag tank and a refugium all tied together. I think it works great for what I am doing.

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what kind of flow you are getting with the two varios6's. Trying to figure out if I should run two 6's or two 8's.

I’m running 2 8’s in my 225g tank. Redundancy and flow were my two primary reasons. I’m getting about 2000 gph flowing through (6’ of head pressure + elbows, but I only have 2 1” drains so they are my limiter). The cool thing with the 8’s is that I can program alternating flow patterns using my apex. I’ve seen some similar videos where people did this with Gyres in the tank - have 20/80 ramp to 80/20 so that you have turbulence move left to right to left again. I’m still tinkering with this as it’s not as straightforward when you have reactors and such on the return lines, so I can’t just throttle way up or down. Nonetheless, it’s yet another way to alter flow patterns in my tank.

RabbitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 2 8’s in my 225g tank. Redundancy and flow were my two primary reasons. I’m getting about 2000 gph flowing through (6’ of head pressure + elbows, but I only have 2 1” drains so they are my limiter). The cool thing with the 8’s is that I can program alternating flow patterns using my apex. I’ve seen some similar videos where people did this with Gyres in the tank - have 20/80 ramp to 80/20 so that you have turbulence move left to right to left again. I’m still tinkering with this as it’s not as straightforward when you have reactors and such on the return lines, so I can’t just throttle way up or down. Nonetheless, it’s yet another way to alter flow patterns in my tank.

awesome, thank you. DM'd you.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what kind of flow you are getting with the two varios6's. Trying to figure out if I should run two 6's or two 8's.

I can't say definitively because I don't use an Apex (nor time how fast it takes to fill up a jug and math it out, lol). But on a dual return 180 they work fine. Not even turned all the way up. But I'm also using the stock Durso's from Marineland (1" both ways) and no manifolds.

They actually have decent head height, so you don't have to go so overkill.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do on my drop off tank, but that is how it is set up and designed. Two returns and one pump for each with a basket in the center. I thought it was silly at first but if one quits or needs to be serviced, I still have flow from the other one

U

User1

View Badges

Well, the Apex could trigger a warning but then again maybe not. And if it does will anybody be able to get to it let alone in a timely manor? I think it was already noted what if you are traveling? Cold spare is good and would work but again someone has to be or get there to swap out (to include it is hot swappable if any other person needs to assist you while away). I figured doubling them up was a safer solution. Prior to the Cor 20 I had the other Cor 15 on the skimmer so again a backup if if the primary return went.

After having both returns running now I've made a change with some help from the Neptune forums to set a virtual outlet called Tide using the OSC function. So it will switch on/off every 6 hours. Then the Cor 15 and 20 will use different on/off settings with a high and low power. This way I can alternate left and right side of the tank flow to simulate a ad-hock high and low tide. Works great. Next I'm going to try and set it up to where both run high for a few minutes to blow around some of the junk off the rocks.

Not a main reason for a pair of returns but if you are using a DC and a controller there are some other options that may make it worth while...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back