• No

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a smokin deal! How much is a new head?
Depends on the head. For a calcium reactor the ideal head is one that you can use a large diameter tube. That way the pump will rotate slower helping with the life of the pump. The best heads are what is called "Easy load". You will also have to buy the tubing.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Watson Marlow... $250 and dead silent!

CDB69F76-8B07-4B9E-8EAB-90DC9BE85507.jpeg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Terrance, you are saying to run the DOS not continually but rather cycle it one and off along with the regulator? Or along the same lines as using the regulator. This is a very interesting topic as I have been one of those who was informed that the DOS couldn't be used because of the non stop dosage. I just assumed that's why ppl bought the masterflex or another similar pumps. I guess that is my fault for not doing any research.

Corey

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Terrance, you are saying to run the DOS not continually but rather cycle it one and off along with the regulator? Or along the same lines as using the regulator. This is a very interesting topic as I have been one of those who was informed that the DOS couldn't be used because of the non stop dosage. I just assumed that's why ppl bought the masterflex or another similar pumps. I guess that is my fault for not doing any research.

Corey
The regulator has nothing to do with it. It does what it does according to the pH in the reactor.

Obviously the pH will rise a bit more when you put 150ml in in one minute vs. 50ml, but the difference is so minute as to not cause any issue.

We do not officially recommend this use for the DOS only because the cycle time of replacement of the head on large aquarium calcium reactors might not be desirable for some customers. For others, snapping on a new head every 3-6 months is no big deal.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm i'm actually interested in the PMUP idea. I'll have to hear more about that or even ask when ever you are on ReefDude's streams.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm i'm actually interested in the PMUP idea. I'll have to hear more about that or even ask when ever you are on ReefDude's streams.
best part is the PMUP has shown its reliability. Prior to it release Terence was using one as the return on his office nano. It would be nice if were even smaller though. It really doesn’t take much to feed these reactors.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno... the PMUP has been out for barely a year and the BRS reviews are less than stellar. I’d give it a bit more time on the market before deeming it reliable.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno... the PMUP has been out for barely a year and the BRS reviews are less than stellar. I’d give it a bit more time on the market before deeming it reliable.

There is usually more to the story.

One of the biggest issues we have for this pump is how some are using it. The failures seem to fall in three camps:
1. The PMUP was run dry at some point - sometimes for a short time and the pump still works, but will have a latent defect due to this happening.
2. The PMUP had something enter the screen as it was used in a sump with lots of small critters with shells. The strange thing here is, as Greg said, I have been running this as a return pump in the back of my office IM nano for two years now and that thing is full of gunk and critters. That said, and in all honesty, I have had one seize up on me in my sump at home that has thousands of tiny snails and other small-shelled inverts in it. I am certain one got in there. The solution was to put a fine mesh bag around the pump.
3. The PMUP gets calcified and seizes. This usually happens when it is placed in a sump compartment where either the 2-part is located. OR, it certainly will eventually happen when concentrated kalk is used in the ATO water.

We have made some small design tweaks to the pump both before and after release to keep making it better and better.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best part is the PMUP has shown its reliability. Prior to it release Terence was using one as the return on his office nano. It would be nice if were even smaller though. It really doesn’t take much to feed these reactors.
It does depend on the reactor. I think I might be able to get by with using a small bypass valve on the line that goes back to the sump and tuning the max output that way. Also, I think I want to experiment with higher flow rates with higher pH levels to see what I find. Maybe having a 500ml/min flow rate at 7.2-7.3 pH still gives me a melt with a dKh of 10. That is still higher than my desired tank dKh of 8.5-9.0 so maybe that will work out. I don't know. That's why I want to experiment and see what the concentration of the output will be as well as optimize CO2. It's all interesting stuff.

I also am in the process of building a homemade DaStaCo-style fully saturated CaRx controlled by the Apex with the DOS. Just waiting for a friend to send me the acrylic pieces.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use the right tool for the job. I mean I could use a soup spoon to shovel the snow out of my driveway but it doesn’t mean I should.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your efforts to improve the product. As is the case with most first generation iterations, I was just pumping the brakes on deeming something reliable with so little time in the marketplace.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your efforts to improve the product. As is the case with most first generation iterations, I was just pumping the brakes on deeming something reliable with so little time in the marketplace.

I don’t disagree with you taking that stance given the feedback. I simply wanted to add to the conversation to show that often there is much behind the scenes. We do a lot to protect customers from themselves or just the stuff that happens, but we always need to do more and try harder. :)

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the PMUP on my ATO which is located about 25 feet away. It pumps water all the way into my attic and 25 feet over to my sump. I’m thrilled with this pump and Neptune’s ATK. The other day I couldn’t understand why my ATO was turning off. It turned out my filter socks were clogged. It saved me from an overflow. The only thing I realized is my ATK didn’t come with the anti siphon piece? @Terence is there a way to obtain just what or is it better left off in my application?

ruhmreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t disagree with you taking that stance given the feedback. I simply wanted to add to the conversation to show that often there is much behind the scenes. We do a lot to protect customers from themselves or just the stuff that happens, but we always need to do more and try harder. :)
Thank you, i will try to get the dos soon. The question is if i use dos to feed the reactor, where should i put the dos and do i need any valve for it..

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly would not view the DoS as anywhere close to robust enough to run a CaRx. Other than the main return pump, it's the most critical piece of equipment I run on my tank and I want bulletproof. Already having issues with the DoS as a AWC pump. As folks have noted here already, basic masterflex pumps,can be had for under $200. I paid $150 for mine four years ago.

There are many ways to run a CaRX. Had my MTC ProCal for almost 20 years and run it lots of different ways. Hands down the best has been the last 4. I set the CO2 to run constantly to maintain a PH of 6.6/7 and a constant effluent rate. Keeps alk rock solid at 9.5 DKH. I could run it periodically, I just don't see why I'd want to LOL.

leroy_jenkinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Masterflex peristaltic pumps running for years in my calcium reactor and for dosing vinegar. These were purchased at ebay for under $100. Nothing better for continuous operation and reliability.
peristalticas.jpg
i know its a old post but curiouswhat size tubing you used on the left one and if its still as reliable two years ago

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back