How many returns do I need?

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am starting to get all the equipment I need for a 50 gallon low boy. 48x24x10.

I am wondering on placement of overflow. And how many return lines I will have to drill.

fish of hex videos show overflow in one corner, and return in the opposite corner.

it was suggested to me to put the overflow in the middle and two returns on the sides.
Is there a certain size when you need more then one return?

This will be my first time plumbing as every tank I currently have is an all in one. So would like to keep it as simple as possible, but if it will prevent issues i will plumb two returns.

thanks for listening g to me ramble.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,
I am starting to get all the equipment I need for a 50 gallon low boy. 48x24x10.

I am wondering on placement of overflow. And how many return lines I will have to drill.

fish of hex videos show overflow in one corner, and return in the opposite corner.

it was suggested to me to put the overflow in the middle and two returns on the sides.
Is there a certain size when you need more then one return?

This will be my first time plumbing as every tank I currently have is an all in one. So would like to keep it as simple as possible, but if it will prevent issues i will plumb two returns.

thanks for listening g to me ramble.
Typical are two but based on tank size can be multiple
My 660g - eight

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think one 1" return or two 3/4" returns would be plenty for that size tank. Not sure you really need two, but it does not hurt anything.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider middle overflow boxes can potentially interfere with arm mounted lighting.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming that if I split the return with a T it will double the head height from that T. So oversizing the return pump may also need to be done.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back