How many shrimps do you have???

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals,

I have a reefer 250 with about 55 gallon display. I currently have a scarlet cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp. Both get along fine besides when the cleaner shrimp gets too close. I wanted to also get a fire blood shrimp but I’m worried I will end up regretting it. Both shrimps have their own areas but the coral banded is definitely the dominant one. Anyone have a similar experience? Is it too many shrimp? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. A Cleaner shrimp and a blood red fire shrimp in an 8 foot long 300g. One stays on the left and the other gets the right. I don't think the two ever even met. The red shrimp stays hidden most of the time, hardly ever see any part of him. Sometimes a whisker or a shadow but honestly not the most entertaining thing I added to the tank.

Can't speak for the coral banded compatibility, but I imagine at this point you might be reaching maximum shrimp capacity.

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pistol shrimp

Just a heads up, a Pistol Shrimp will rearrange the sand in your tank and possibly bury corals. If you do get one, watch for where he dumps sand, move the sand if you want, and place some rubble there. Additionally, worth noting that pistol shrimp are aptly named and you will hear them from other rooms. They are warning other fish and inverts away when they do this. With my Pistol, he actually killed my harlequin shrimp and I watched him stun a smaller purple queen anthias who never recovered and soon after died.

Edit: Not trying to dissuade you, just wish I knew that!

OP
OP
Fishy212

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. A Cleaner shrimp and a blood red fire shrimp in an 8 foot long 300g. One stays on the left and the other gets the right. I don't think the two ever even met. The red shrimp stays hidden most of the time, hardly ever see any part of him. Sometimes a whisker or a shadow but honestly not the most entertaining thing I added to the tank.

Can't speak for the coral banded compatibility, but I imagine at this point you might be reaching maximum shrimp capacity.
I have heard of many people saying that even though they are kind of a cleaner shrimp as well. Thank you

OP
OP
Fishy212

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, a Pistol Shrimp will rearrange the sand in your tank and possibly bury corals. If you do get one, watch for where he dumps sand, move the sand if you want, and place some rubble there. Additionally, worth noting that pistol shrimp are aptly named and you will hear them from other rooms. They are warning other fish and inverts away when they do this. With my Pistol, he actually killed my harlequin shrimp and I watched him stun a smaller purple queen anthias who never recovered and soon after died.

Edit: Not trying to dissuade you, just wish I knew that!
I know they also make those noises as well. Wife would not approve. She’s already afraid of noises haha

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fire shrimps I bought that weren't paired off on purchase. The bigger guy is very mean to the smaller one. They are highly reclusive and I hardly see them out even in my 13.5g. They'll grab pellets and then dart back into their holes.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 skunk cleaners, a fire and a coral banded in a 240. They rarely notice each other and if they get close the smaller one moves away.

Superfizzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pistol shrimp. He's an Alpheus randalli (Red Banded Snapping Shrimp) and he hangs out with my Goby and makes caves underneath the rocks. He's always busy pushing sand around and is a ton of fun to watch. The pistol sound happens more at night so if the tank is in a sleeping area I'd shy away but I really enjoy him.

I had a larger pistol shrimp that hitchhiked from some rock I put in from another tank and that guy killed my yellow tang who was a major jerk to everyone so I can't say I blame him for off'ing him, but we were upstairs and heard 6-8 loud pops and by the time I got downstairs to check out the tank the yellow tang was on his side not breathing. So my suggestion is to stay with the smaller one, and pair him with a yellow watchman goby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishy212

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fire shrimps I bought that weren't paired off on purchase. The bigger guy is very mean to the smaller one. They are highly reclusive and I hardly see them out even in my 13.5g. They'll grab pellets and then dart back into their holes.
I think your comment just made up my mind. Even in a 13.5 gallon you barely see them? I love seeing all the activity and movement. They are beautiful... if they come out.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your comment just made up my mind. Even in a 13.5 gallon you barely see them? I love seeing all the activity and movement. They are beautiful... if they come out.
It might have to do with the fact that they are only about an inch long right now perhaps? I can always see their whiskers sticking out, but sometimes I can't even see one of them and I worry that one may have died lol. They are always out in the morning and night though. When I feed by hand they sometimes will come and clean my hands just like a skunk cleaner. They are nowhere close to being as bold as a skunk cleaner though.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we speak they are hiding between two rocks. They usually look like this.

797B4BDE-B9BA-406A-AB2F-0C1B483FCED3.jpeg AB378B87-A8CF-4F21-877E-C916CD4DABC6.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishy212

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pistol shrimp. He's an Alpheus randalli (Red Banded Snapping Shrimp) and he hangs out with my Goby and makes caves underneath the rocks. He's always busy pushing sand around and is a ton of fun to watch. The pistol sound happens more at night so if the tank is in a sleeping area I'd shy away but I really enjoy him.

I had a larger pistol shrimp that hitchhiked from some rock I put in from another tank and that guy killed my yellow tank who was a major jerk to everyone so I can't say I blame him for off'ing him but we were upstairs and heard 6-8 loud pops and by the time I got downstairs to check out the tank the yellow tang was on his side not breathing. So my suggestion is to stay with the smaller one, and pair him with a yellow watchman goby.
Will look into them. Thanks for the info!

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals,

I have a reefer 250 with about 55 gallon display. I currently have a scarlet cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp. Both get along fine besides when the cleaner shrimp gets too close. I wanted to also get a fire blood shrimp but I’m worried I will end up regretting it. Both shrimps have their own areas but the coral banded is definitely the dominant one. Anyone have a similar experience? Is it too many shrimp? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have 2 in a 29g and they have pair up and like to clean my wrasse. Only regret is they sometimes steal my duncans food.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 160 gallon, I have 3 cleaners shrimp (one ponded pair),1 fire shrimp, and 1 peppermint. All get along fine.

OP
OP
Fishy212

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the feedback it seems like I will be okay with adding another shrimp to my system. I think there will be enough space for everyone. I am leaning more towards a pistol shrimp now and goby combo. Was also in the market to get another fish, so that is very convenient! Thanks everyone !

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger pistol and a YWG in a 40breeder right by my bed. The shrimp keeps like 80% of the sand bed in constant flux and is very entertaining to watch, I'd never have a tank without one. Well, maybe if I wanted a BB acro tank I'd skip it obviously. The shrimp's snaps aren't that loud and not too frequent, like said above mostly at night. It hasn't bothered me at all and I'm a lite sleeper. As for corals, it can be an issue with sand dwelling corals and if they're small enough the shrimp will take them. But I do have fungia and trachyphyllia, when the fungia was small he did try to take off with it a couple times but it was too big to get into his hole and now it's too big for him to even move, the trachy he just tries to burrow under. I had a fungia die then give off babies and the shrimp for sure got some of them before I put them into a tupperware.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Skunk cleaners, a Fire-red, a Coral Banded, and a couple of other cleaner shrimp.

I would honestly get 7-10 more Skunk Cleaners if they weren’t $30 a pop

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back