How Many Triggers?

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how many triggers y’all would suggest for a larger system. It’s a 96”x48”x24” mixed reef. I currently only have about a 7” Niger Trigger now and he’s very social and gets along with everyone else. I have a couple snowflake eels, bicolor Fiji Foxface, scribbled rabbit fish, purple tang, scopas tang, and a quoyi parrotfish.
My thoughts on additions are a pair of blue throats, sargassum, and a pair of crosshatch. Any other ones y’all can think of that would be good reef safe additions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nigers do get tough at that size for the addition of many species, especially other triggers. The only ones I would try would be a pair of crosshatch, because they will have the size advantage usually coming in a large size. The other 2 will likely not be able to stand up to the initial attacks from the niger, they are on the wimpy side of triggers. How a fish gets along with existing tank mates is much different than how they treat new additions.

Shock1K9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 7 very aggressive triggers since they were small, adding the most aggressive to my collection last. They appear to be doing extremely well with very little aggression. I have a Rectangular and Picasso that fuss occasionally but everything else is fine. Getting them extremely small appears to have worked thus far. This will shock most, but I have a Titan, Blueline, and Undulated in this group of triggers and they are living peacefully together as a community. My reef tank with clowns, chromis, and damsels is much more chaotic than my predator tank. Triggers get a bad rap because of bad experiences that I attribute to tank size, poorly planned introductions, and what they read on the internet. When I post pics of Triggers happily greeting me as I enter the room swimming closely together, begging for food and eating together as a pack, people appear to be shocked to see this.

Darth Dumbas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 7 very aggressive triggers since they were small, adding the most aggressive to my collection last. They appear to be doing extremely well with very little aggression. I have a Rectangular and Picasso that fuss occasionally but everything else is fine. Getting them extremely small appears to have worked thus far. This will shock most, but I have a Titan, Blueline, and Undulated in this group of triggers and they are living peacefully together as a community. My reef tank with clowns, chromis, and damsels is much more chaotic than my predator tank. Triggers get a bad rap because of bad experiences that I attribute to tank size, poorly planned introductions, and what they read on the internet. When I post pics of Triggers happily greeting me as I enter the room swimming closely together, begging for food and eating together as a pack, people appear to be shocked to see this.
wow, that is interesting. I've always thought that it might be possible if a tank was sufficiently large, after all, how do they all share the same ocean? The question is: how large? 1000 gallons? more?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back