How much ammonia should nitrifiers be able to handle daily for you to consider a tank cycled?

How much ammonia should nitrifiers be able to handle daily for you to consider a tank cycled?

• A specific amount (2ppm)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • A specific amount (not 2ppm, please specify)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A specific amount that varies depending on one or multiple factors (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any amount of ammonia oxidation (i.e. any decrease in ammonia from nitrification)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I consider an aquarium 'cycled' differently (please specify)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (please specify)

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now reef a palooza Florida is building up and getting ready

why is someone not interviewing each skip cycle entrant, with a hundred grand in frags and fish to sell, to see how they’re setting up and whether or not they dose the transfer systems up to 2 ppm ammonia or not to see if moving over to the convention undid their cycle

Aze will never cede ground-he will advise 100% of cyclers they must have zero nitrite and zero ammonia on api in order to reef and live rock cycles are handled the same as dry rock cycles. There is no distinction for Aze, a cycle is a cycle context is omitted.

will RAP follow the rules or break them? —- what’s the reality between sellers cycling rules and buyers cycling rules

Someone needs to conduct a podcast interview there and put the system on trial. The techniques about to be used at RAP by the sellers could then be relayed as options for new tankers, that’s 100% opposite from current relay action.
see if the option majority here has application irl or just ifl in forum life

if we find out entrants at RAP did not consult api and use ammonium chloride to begin, how does that validate or invalidate moving two ppm to call a cycle done? It will establish a form of cycling we wouldn’t even use any testing to handle.

psst: the sellers show up with wet rocks, trust them, then sell us cycling products. Since 1997. All stuck cycle madness is forum peer trading.
Okay, I think you are being to hard on folk just trying to make a living and not interested in your position.

You have incited a possible solution:

Start a thread were stuck cycle folk take their API Ammo test to their lfs and test their tanks and report the findings back to the Thread.
Or
Could just ask folk here to go to their lfs and dip a bag of water out of a store tank and get a free water test and see how many get told they need bacteria for “their new tank.”

Or send people to buy API kits and ask the lfs to show how these tests work on the stores (stalled cycle!?) display tanks.

This could be glorious- thanks for being an advocate for the reliable bacteria around us.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm truly curious how they're setting up there. I bet a lot of them will create in the live rock moist in Styrofoam but not even submerged. They won't be using un cured rocks so that would work well

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be totally accurate, my food example was when I had larger fish than now. Currently it's more like an average of 0.2ppm ammonia-equivalent per day going in.

I really wonder does anyone feed near 2ppm ammonia equivalent per day?
this would be 10mg/L of protein input daily. That sounds like a LOT to me.
Which is why I think of the 2ppm/day number as excess capacity, not a daily demand.
(but I don't know what other people feed)
Now I wonder too.

I do think we are slightly underestimating ammonia production because other components of fish food may also contain nitrogen, though to be fair it is probably far less than in amino acids and probably contribute very little to the estimation anyways.

So with your feeding at its peak, one would need to feed 4x that to reach 2ppm a day. I can imagine very heavy feeders feeding maybe twice or thrice as much as you fed at peak, but even then that's 1-1.5ppm ammonia. And I wonder how many people do that. I mean I thought I feed heavily, and pellets contain a high protein content, but even then it turned out my feeding produced less than half concentration of ammonia that your feeding produced at its peak.

I'd be very keen to see others do similar calculations too, just to get a broader picture of feeding habits and come to a more definite conclusion. :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the modus operandi is this:

accept any stated test param from api as fact.

advise a purchase

advise that a set in cycle for six months can be undone, have them buy and dose accordingly.

why this matters:

in addition to incorrectly advising new cyclers about 2 ppm requirements, he's advising them that their cycles can be undone and by extraction this working reef above can't move 2 ppm down to zero, so its not cycled.

thats faulty any way its sliced

nothing is wrong with that tank's cycle or surface area. pics coming up...

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back