how much (animals) is too much in 6g nano

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a 6g corner tank. I’m looking to make the ecosystem full circle. How much is too much for my tiny tank?

I currently have a cleaner shrimp, Mexican turbo snail, red honey damsel and 3 Astrinia starfish. I haven’t seen the little starfish since I added them into the tank.

The snail poops a lot. I was thinking about getting a bristle worm since I have oolite sand in my tank.

In addition, I would like to add a feather duster worm and electric blue hermit crab.

Also- should I add some type of macroalgae to help control N&P?

My tank is a couple weeks old and I added cycled water to it. I just introduced the animals I do have on Sunday (2 days ago). I’ll also post a picture of my tank.

thanks!!!!! :)

8010816E-EEF5-4A3F-A964-5184FDADF47C.jpeg

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don't add any snails or other cleanup crew unless there is visible algae. They need food or they will starve.

Adding the hermit is fine for that size tank.

Your turbo will probably die of starvation in that small of a tank unless you supplement with nori. Recommendation for those is 1 per 20g. A couple cerith, a hermit or two and a couple either margaritas or astrea or a single trochus is plenty for that size tank.

In small tanks like that, you deal with nitrates and phosphates with water changes. If you really like the look of it, you could add something like dragons breath macroalgae, but I would avoid any other strains.

Don't add any more fish unless they are replacing the damsel not adding to it. Those are very territorial and any other fish will probably be bullied to death immediately in that size tank.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a 6g corner tank. I’m looking to make the ecosystem full circle. How much is too much for my tiny tank?

I currently have a cleaner shrimp, Mexican turbo snail, red honey damsel and 3 Astrinia starfish. I haven’t seen the little starfish since I added them into the tank.

The snail poops a lot. I was thinking about getting a bristle worm since I have oolite sand in my tank.

In addition, I would like to add a feather duster worm and electric blue hermit crab.

Also- should I add some type of macroalgae to help control N&P?

My tank is a couple weeks old and I added cycled water to it. I just introduced the animals I do have on Sunday (2 days ago). I’ll also post a picture of my tank.

thanks!!!!! :)

8010816E-EEF5-4A3F-A964-5184FDADF47C.jpeg
feel like macro will just bottom you out. Not much hope of a self sustaining ecosystem in this hobby...
Water isn't cycled or uncycled, rocks and sand are. Bristles and such will come into your tank on their own. not enough food for them RN. quite a small tank, few fish and inverts and you'll be at the limit.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back