How much did you spend?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500 USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not willing to add it up because I don’t want to know, but in the first year mine probably wasn’t all that much. At year 3 when I bought an apex controller and a lot of extra accessories my cost went up by a lot. If I had to guess I’m probably over $3,000 just in apex gear, and a lot of it was bought used.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not willing to add it up because I don’t want to know, but in the first year mine probably wasn’t all that much. At year 3 when I bought an apex controller and a lot of extra accessories my cost went up by a lot. If I had to guess I’m probably over $3,000 just in apex gear, and a lot of it was bought used.
I know I want an apex so badly it’s just like the most expensive thing in this entire hobby!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I want an apex so badly it’s just like the most expensive thing in this entire hobby!!
I talked myself out of it for a long time because of the cost. I finally bought it and I’m glad I did. The combination of apex, trident, and dos for controlled dosing is phenomenal IMO.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Look up the hydros system, it doesn’t lock you in like the apex. And a bit more flexible. I will get the hydros when I decide to stop dosing and attach a CalRx, for failsafe system. As far as orp, I don’t need it, I have a constant fresh airflow in the house,, and I have all the proper gear to check the perimeters once a week, some once a month. I would say I have spent right under 4K for my 100g and my 40g frag tank. Mind you I did get both the tanks and 60g sump used, but were in excellent condition. For me the most expensive part has been the g5 radions. And I did 3d print a lot of parts for my setup, like media cups to replace the filter socks, radion mounting for the rms rail, window screen corner tabs, and much more..

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F0A230F-DEF1-45F2-A5D9-CE53AE4154D2.gif

still well within budget

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look up the hydros system, it doesn’t lock you in like the apex. And a bit more flexible. I will get the hydros when I decide to stop dosing and attach a CalRx, for failsafe system. As far as orp, I don’t need it, I have a constant fresh airflow in the house,, and I have all the proper gear to check the perimeters once a week, some once a month. I would say I have spent right under 4K for my 100g and my 40g frag tank. Mind you I did get both the tanks and 60g sump used, but were in excellent condition. For me the most expensive part has been the g5 radions. And I did 3d print a lot of parts for my setup, like media cups to replace the filter socks, radion mounting for the rms rail, window screen corner tabs, and much more..
I have looked at the hydros system. I know apex is more expensive but I know it does more and I personally like the look better so I’m saving my money.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500⁹ USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.
Check this out...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-much-did-your-tank-setup-cost.903182/

One of the All time greats!

Eventually you will learn...Toss your budget out the window, even on a budget build. You have to love this hobby, hope your wife loves it, family and friends love it, maybe they are willing to buy a frag or 2 for you, or hope your wife is very forgiving, or be prepared to be sneaky.

I started with an idea of a $1400 budget on a 40B tank build that is well over $3500 now.

No Regrets, Wife loves it, family loves it, and even had a few family members chip on some frags.

Otherwise...let me tell you the answers:

How much did your tank cost?

1. A Divorce
2. My Left Nut
3. I dont remember
4. I signed an NDA Agreement
5. I refuse to answer incase of an IRS Audit

and most importantly...if people really are hung up on cost...you tell them the #1 rule of Reef Club....We Dont Talk about Reef Club.

That is the best advice. Read through the the post/thread I Created above...comedy gold!

This hobby is expensive even if you buy everything used. I’m wondering in the first few months/year…how much did you spend on everything? I’m curious. I just did some math and 2 months into it with a 20 gallon tank I’ve spent around $1,500 USD! I also realize like anything you acquire things overtime and most don’t buy everything they’ll ever need all at once. It’s hard and addicting lol. And omg coral is so expensive especially considering some frags are hundreds or thousands of dollars. But I will say it’s something I saved for but never expected to spend this much.
Check this out:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-much-did-your-tank-setup-cost.903182/

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it best to pace myself (I guess you could call it a budget) so I put aside a certain amount per month now to spend on my aquariums...when you do it like that you don't feel bad about spending the money afterwards since you already made up your mind you can afford it. After your tanks are established you probably won't be adding much every single month so you can save that predecided amount for a couple months for something more expensive

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my current setup, the lights alone were $1100, not counting a couple black boxes that I no longer use.. probably $400 there. External overfow, 10g tank for sump, baffle kit,... wavemakers, canister filters (Fluval FX6 is about $300) rocks, sand, salt, RODI, Miscellaneous storage containers, and all of the other crap we need, but don't consider when we set up a tank.... Ummm.. yeah... I need to buy a second abacus to figure this all out.. ANOTHER expense!! LOL

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation and high price livestock can get very expensive very quick. It's not necessary to get those things to enjoy this hobby. However, do what makes you happy in life.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over $15k in 12 months on a new build

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Automation and high price livestock can get very expensive very quick. It's not necessary to get those things to enjoy this hobby. However, do what makes you happy in life.
Absolutely! One day I hope to. It’s an add-on but not necessary and didn’t exist 20 years ago like it does today.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back