How much did your Tank Setup Cost??

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...I don't really want to know how much your Tank Setup Cost...I am finding it comedy gold at this point

Since setting up my 1st ever Mixed Reef Tank it goes as follows:

Oh Wow...that is Awesome, Your Tank is Amazing, Oh Wow...look at that fish..Oh wow...what is this coral? Would you look at That!! Plus at least 5 other pleasantries ....always followed up with...

HOW MUCH DID IT COST?? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I always tell them...if you really want to know, don't Ask, and if you are interested, Toss your Budget into the Abyss!

Never Fails!

I end with how much does it cost to view the Magnificence of God's Creation? We severely underpaid!
I started with 2500.00 2 years ago now I’m around I plead the fifth

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm around $9k including livestock and consumables for my 40 breeder.

Much of it is going to be reused for my 6' build in the next year or two -- Apex, Sky, Trident, Tunze pumps, livestock, fleece roller, consumables, etc. I'm expecting it to cost another $15-$20k when it's all said and done.

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread depresses me at what some have spent, lol.

Scary part is that some are already out the hobby since posting up that they spent untold thousands that they are still paying for!
Yup, I wouldn't even consider it but I had my previous system from 2000 to 2015. Expect to have this setup till I'm a feeble old man.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for a hobby (I have too many) but to see some of what folks buy on here and dump within a year (because it didn't work out) is unreal.

I’m not worried about those spending disposable income. It’s the ones that put thousands on credit that I feel sad for.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I think this is kind of funny. These are figures that I really dont track for many reasons. But I will play along..

Plant tank and stand used 2500.00
Lights, sump, rock, skimmer, ATO, Vortech MP40's, All from my previous tank that was set up two years ago. so call it about 5000.00 two years ago prices

2 M2 vectras 950.00
Fish and Coral ??? a guess is around 1500.00
Nero3 275.00
so some place in the 10K

what is scary is what is on my list of stuff to get....

Apex A3pro
New lights unknown brand at this point
Refugium that is not part of my sump.
possibly a new skimmer

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far about 3.5 K

$1200 for minireef120
replaced stock skimmer, light

Added AI Prime HD16 ($350), Nero3 ($250), Mantis 120 skimmer ($250), Bubble Magus G2 small fleece roller ($280), Kamoer X5s doser ($490) and ATO ($120)
Plus stock

Last edited:

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...I don't really want to know how much your Tank Setup Cost...I am finding it comedy gold at this point

Oh Wow...that is Awesome, Your Tank is Amazing, Oh Wow...look at that fish..Oh wow...what is this coral? Would you look at That!! Plus at least 5 other pleasantries ....always followed up with...

I always tell them...if you really want to know, don't Ask, and if you are interested, Toss your Budget into the Abyss!

Never Fails!

I end with how much does it cost to view the Magnificence of God's Creation? We severely underpaid!

Never Fails!

Hmm the reef ready planet aquarium 100 gallon ran me $750 just over 4 years ago. I gather gear for just over a year and built my own sump. This was roughly $500 ish with reactors skimmers heaters etc. I initially went cheap on lights and pumps with a current marine loop pro for around system for around $900. Since then I have upgraded almost everything from lights to wave makers and pumps. I also added a few apex items and the tune of $2500. So if I had to guess I am setting at close to $6500 all together. As I look back and a few hard lessons learned, I feel my next larger tank will be one that is plug and play. The options of ready to tole ranks minus gear is the way to go. I feel that will take a lot of wasted time and money out of the equation.

moncheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to keep track how much I spent on. I can't keep track all of them like small things. But for my 75 gallon all hang on equipments(cheap stuff nothing fancy, non reef tank and stand. No sump). I'm at around $3500 with rock and sands. Then the stocking at around 4K. Total around 8k. I'm only in the hobby for less than 1 year .
29127F4D-EAAC-46E7-B7A2-93DA4D410270.png

Last edited:

blackhole88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never Fails!

1200 gallon room dividing aquarium stand and sump plus pumps lights uvs skimmer 30,000 and that with my getting everything at cost due to managing aquarium store. Rock and fish another ten grand

markwayts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never Fails!

After 13 years i've lost count but i'd guess five thousand dollars in equipment and a couple thousand in food, fish, corals and chemicals. 55 gallon mixed reef.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked that by my fiance's brother. How much did all this cost you. My reply was 'how much have you spent on your habit? " He just started at me. Then I replied yeah that's why your so burned out.

gibbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Never Fails!

It’s a sunk cost, not even worth tracking lol

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for over 20 years and at least 7 tanks that I can remember. Currently have 2 tanks and we're planning a frag tank. Thankfully my partner is very supportive and is as enthusiastic about buying more stuff as I am, in fact she bought our tickets for Reefstock without telling me.
I'm an avid DIYer so I haven't spent big on things like lights and controllers but that doesn't necessarily mean I've gone the budget path. I think we've spent close to $2000 in the last few weeks just on livestock and projects. I don't even want to know what the running total is.

joewaddle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be terrible but I think I came out alright.
My 125g tank was initially $100. It was used with 3 freshwater kessil lights, 6 clown loaches over 6” each, big canister filter, and few other things. I traded everything that came with it for my rocks, some corals, and something other stuff I’m sure I forgot.
I built my stand so $0, all hardware for my stand was free also.
Sump was $100. It’s a 70g peninsula tank I got from a store shutting down.
4 bags of sand, I think $40 each so $160
Skimmer is a dc aquamaxx, I got one slightly undersized but it’s production is through the roof. It was it believe $220
Return pump just a cheap dc pump from Amazon $70.
I have 3 AI prime 16 hd and a hydra 32hd. Flex arm mounts for primes and hms for the hydra. This tags in around $1300. I originally only had two primes then got some acros and decided to add another prime on one side. (wish I would have just got ecotech lights) AI lights melt the lens after a year or so.
Plumbing I got the colored pvc which cost me around $100, my unions and shutoffs generously provided by my work.
I have a Nero 5, bought when they was $220. Also have a maxspect gyre that came with my purchase of the tank that I use. So that was basically free
I got the tunze 10k for a fuge light which was $80 and got a $20 jar of red ogo from algae barn. (like it better than cheato) works great also
Just got the new A3 pro apex. They are $1000 pretty much.
2 heaters from Amazon bout $160 total with an auto aqua temp security on both which are $60 each so $120
Two kaomer dosing pumps total of $160.
Hob 15w uv with a newa maxi pump, around $220
I’m not even gonna get into coral due to that it would be impossible to figure that out. Got a lot in trades and from live sales so it could be worse. My guess would be at least $4k. I believe that wraps it up. I e had this build for over 5 years now. Originally started in a 55g I got for free! I drilled my tanks, diy anything I could to save money on the way.
So this brings my setup and equipment total to $3,730. A lot less than I thought it would. I dose all for reef and brightwell aminos. Used to tropic marin salt but got tired of it being out of stock. Been using fritz rpm for over 6 months now and won’t consider swapping back. $40 cheaper and always in stock. I did not include these prices due to them being a ongoin purchase.

Last edited:

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Running tally on a Red Sea 200XL G2 brand new with all brand new gear since May 16 2022 to present. Includes all livestock and fresh from the ocean live rock , test kits, rodi, etc , etc $8231

Atalien2005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This tread really hit home and made me go and calculate all my spendings in this hobby. I’ve only been reefing a little short of two years, so it was easy to go back through all my transactions. Doing so blew my mind because I thought I had a ballpark figure in my head but I was completely off. I currently don’t have any tank running but that’s because I’m in the process of moving to a different state - from WA to GA.

I have purchased six used tanks in that timeframe and still have three to include most equipment they came with. I will list the tanks in order of purchase.
1. RedSea 425xl fully turnkey to include full Apex and Trident. (Sold)
2. RedSea 525xl brand new which was a tank replacement from RedSea because of a seam failure. (Sold)
3. RedSea Reefer Nano. (Sold)
4. RedSea Reefer 170 will be my nem tank.
5. Cade 1800 S2 which will be my dream tank with all the bells and whistles.
6. 90 gal acrylic frag tank will be used for grow out.

I thought I was around $35k in spending but the calculator tells a different story. Fortunately I don’t have much else to buy, I have a small LFS worth of stuff.

Attachments

• 17F8103D-D63D-41C7-9870-FDE608348BD0.png
    17F8103D-D63D-41C7-9870-FDE608348BD0.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 19

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back