How much did your Tank Setup Cost??

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...I don't really want to know how much your Tank Setup Cost...I am finding it comedy gold at this point

Since setting up my 1st ever Mixed Reef Tank it goes as follows:

Oh Wow...that is Awesome, Your Tank is Amazing, Oh Wow...look at that fish..Oh wow...what is this coral? Would you look at That!! Plus at least 5 other pleasantries ....always followed up with...

HOW MUCH DID IT COST?? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I always tell them...if you really want to know, don't Ask, and if you are interested, Toss your Budget into the Abyss!

Never Fails!

I end with how much does it cost to view the Magnificence of God's Creation? We severely underpaid!
Hahahaha

Attachments

• c6f34ef903be724f4cf7d95c9d89f2a9.jpg
    c6f34ef903be724f4cf7d95c9d89f2a9.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 41

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept careful track of how much everything has cost me. I bought most things used to save a lot of money and for my RedSea reefer 170 (34g tank) with fish and livestock after 2 years it's cost me $3k. Way more than I wanted to spend and I've been super careful about where and when I spend money on it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my current 4’ tank….
For the whole tank setup, I lost £2,704 but it was worth it. The tank was about 1.2k and the lights were 300 each, then the rest were all in the mechanics (Rollermat, UV steriliser, Skimmer, Return pump ect).

as for current Live stock,
Magnificent Foxface was £99
Melanospilos Angel was £120
Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang was £45
2x Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse were £30 each
Black Margin Fairy Wrasse was £50
Jade Wrasse was £20
Radiant Wrasse was £45
Black Photon Clown was £25
Copperband Butterfly was £30

Duncan Coral was £120
Indo Torch Coral was £120
Favia was £20
Yuma Ric was £30
Blue Mushroom was £40
GSP was £15
Mini Maxi Nem was £45
Kenya Tree was £45
Frammer was £15
Chilli was £50

That takes the live stock price to a “sweet” 974, but that’s not all. Now to count the losses… I dread to imagine how much I lost.

Joker Torch was £180 (£99 PH)
Frogspawn was £40
Candy Floss Torch was £180
Green mushroom was £20
Red mushroom was £20
Leather was £80

Flashing tile was £130
Coral Beauty was £45
Naokos Fairy Wrasse was £45
Silver Belly Wrasse was £40
Magnificent Foxface was £90
Hippo Tang was £50
Convict/Engineer Goby/Blenny was £30
Scopas Tang was £45
4x Black Photon Clown was £25 (each)
Coral Beauty was £40
Copperband Butterfly was £30

I think that’s all the deaths and that takes me up to a harsh £2,134 in total live stock. So in total my whole system including total live stock was £4,838. It was a long way to get to where I am now but it was definitely worth it!
C40EE5B6-AA4D-4C69-8979-555357C2D06E.jpeg

FD566FC3-92D8-46A0-8888-14DA4EA24511.jpeg
4249B471-AC31-4F25-BCDD-323FFCE2369B.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally 10’s of 1000’s….but it’s worth it, I have 2 living reefs in my home

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest tank costs more than I owe on my 2021 honda civic. . I have a spreadsheet going back to 2016 and first tank. I could almost buy a tesla with what I've spent on everything: additives, fish, food, coral, equipment. Everything goes in by year and by tank. I have a general equipment and maintenance column as well as tank specific.

I know almost down to the penny what I've spent and on what (and what it is and where I got it).

My hubby has no clue and we'll just say that his ignorance is my bliss..

Saltydog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...I don't really want to know how much your Tank Setup Cost...I am finding it comedy gold at this point

Oh Wow...that is Awesome, Your Tank is Amazing, Oh Wow...look at that fish..Oh wow...what is this coral? Would you look at That!! Plus at least 5 other pleasantries ....always followed up with...

I always tell them...if you really want to know, don't Ask, and if you are interested, Toss your Budget into the Abyss!

Never Fails!

I end with how much does it cost to view the Magnificence of God's Creation? We severely underpaid

Saltydog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never Fails!

I end with how much does it cost to view the Magnificence of God's Creation? We severely underpaid!
buy used

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks cost me several untaken vacations,Time spent determining how to explain and justify the additional gear. Another explanation on why my fish supply room looks like my daughters bedroom. More time spent explaining why it makes sense to buy MORE salt now as it may cost more later. MORE time explaining why I can't go with her to visit her family and leave the tanks unattended. This is all giving me a headache. I think I'll go sit in front of my tank and relax...

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off with a plan - 120 deep (used), a metal stand borrowing a welder, a couple of lights and pumps. 4-5k.

That quickly went to a custom 274 tank, then I upgraded that to low iron glass and some other features. Now I need more lights, more pumps and powerheads, more steel for my stand, purchased my own welder, more rock, and on and on….

I’m keeping track in a spreadsheet, and I have spent 14k so far and have an estimated 4k to finish setup (over the next couple months).

Then fish and coral.

I’m estimating that my tank will use $50-75 per month in electric plus an additional load on the AC during the summer (no idea what that will be).

Then consumables such as salt, additives, RO filters, replacement parts etc....

I tell my friends that it's like buying a boat and that's how I justify the cost.
(PS I don't own a boat for this reason. LOL)

I don't have to report to a wife so that helps. :p

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to document my process, here is the link for those interested.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a budget of $5000….
let’s just say that barely scratched the surface and it’s at least quadruple that by now. I don’t keep track because I don’t want to know the ugly truth.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off with a plan - 120 deep (used), a metal stand borrowing a welder, a couple of lights and pumps. 4-5k.

That quickly went to a custom 274 tank, then I upgraded that to low iron glass and some other features. Now I need more lights, more pumps and powerheads, more steel for my stand, purchased my own welder, more rock, and on and on….

I’m keeping track in a spreadsheet, and I have spent 14k so far and have an estimated 4k to finish setup (over the next couple months).

Then fish and coral.

I’m estimating that my tank will use $50-75 per month in electric plus an additional load on the AC during the summer (no idea what that will be).

Then consumables such as salt, additives, RO filters, replacement parts etc....

I tell my friends that it's like buying a boat and that's how I justify the cost.
(PS I don't own a boat for this reason. LOL)

I don't have to report to a wife so that helps. :p
Like buying a boat minus the mooring, gas, driving there and back, insurance, ect...

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far 200 dollars on this build. 20 dollar 55g tank off craigslist free stand 30 in rock 20g tank free for sump. 60 for hygger wavemaker with controller. 30 for 40lb ocean direct sand. 10 on glue 5 on putty 80lbs of lr for free from local getting out of the hobby. 15 on black box wavemaker 20 in cigs trying to put it all together and not break the bank. Have a live aquaria gift card that will be spent on filter socks and biomedia, sponge for chamber leading to return and a few other items....(nothing live though just mechanical and filtration and only because i have a gift card). Right side of tank will be filled with everything from my 20g frag tank with that tank becoming the sump.

Attachments

• 20220806_213028.jpg
    20220806_213028.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back