How much do these frags typically go for?

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the picture isn't great because my lense with the blue light is bad but the one on the right is a yellow and orange color. I have had very successful fowlr tanks before but have never seemed to be able to succeed as much as I would like with different corals. I've armed myself with more information and feel pretty confident about being able to succeed this go around. My only problem is all the different kinds of coral. For example zoas, there are many different zoas and I was wondering what exactly these are and how much they typically cost for a frag this size. The price in the tank just said ask and the guy knew I didn't have a ton of experience with coral so I was just wondering how honest of a person he was. I have only been in this store twice now as they are newer around my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated

20210924_195953.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to go you your local reef club and post that you want to get into zoanthids and ask if anyone has anything they could hook you up with for a decent price. My bet is that you will have plenty of cool corals for reasonable prices, and that you will meet new reefing friends who will help guide you through the hobby.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those frags should be more than 15-20$ at most. Hard to say for sure from the pics... I agree with above comments, if the store doesn't have a posted price, that leaves them free to gauge your knowledge and gouge you. Walk away!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
$15-20

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hard to say what theyre worth without better pics, but usually 15-40$ is the average price for most zoas, but some are worth over 200 per polyp.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those frags should be more than 15-20$ at most. Hard to say for sure from the pics... I agree with above comments, if the store doesn't have a posted price, that leaves them free to gauge your knowledge and gouge you. Walk away!!
Yup, next thing you know they're telling people they're some rare "Red-Headed Stepchild" or "Electric Banana Dipshits" and asking $100. Lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, next thing you know they're telling people they're some rare "Red-Headed Stepchild" or "Electric Banana Dipshits" and asking $100. Lol

Yep just like the mechanic selling you "Stainless steel piston return springs" or "high grade blinker fluid"

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even google zoanthid names on my work internet connection. Honest, HR rep, the Jason fox butt*** is a coral. Honest.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the picture isn't great because my lense with the blue light is bad but the one on the right is a yellow and orange color. I have had very successful fowlr tanks before but have never seemed to be able to succeed as much as I would like with different corals. I've armed myself with more information and feel pretty confident about being able to succeed this go around. My only problem is all the different kinds of coral. For example zoas, there are many different zoas and I was wondering what exactly these are and how much they typically cost for a frag this size. The price in the tank just said ask and the guy knew I didn't have a ton of experience with coral so I was just wondering how honest of a person he was. I have only been in this store twice now as they are newer around my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated

20210924_195953.jpg
Honestly, zoanthids.com has alot of great pictures/i.d.'s. You can use them as a reference. I'm not sure how great their prices are but you could at least get an idea of what you like and search from there.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hard to say what theyre worth without better pics, but usually 15-40$ is the average price for most zoas, but some are worth over 200 per polyp.
I'll try to snap a better pic when i get home from work today.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210925_151230.jpg
I'm not sure if this helps but it looks like I may have been upselled. Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try to find some local clubs.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't like them any less now that it seems that he overcharged me but I like the store less now and probably won't be going back

If you like the corals and are happy with them, that is what is important. If you realize the store overcharged you and spread the word, that is your best course.

There is a rule in business, and I do not understand why so many owners disregard it.. but it says, "A satisfied customer will tell 10 of his friends. A dissatisfied customer will tell 100 of his friends!"

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To play devil's advocate for just a moment, keep in mind that a store will never be able to offer the kinds of pricing you will get from other reefers. They have overhead and employees to pay, whereas most fellow reefers see any profit from selling frags as icing on the cake.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back