How much do you pay for fish, corals and equipment?

I tell the truth and am honest about what I spend if SO asks

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only recently taken the dive into the great blue unknown that is a reef tank. You'll see from my build thread that I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far and very thankful for all the advice I've had from you all on here!

A couple of months in, endless Amazon packages and visits to the LFS, later, I'm starting to get questions from the SO (significant other!!) about how much Im spending.

Does anyone else usually half the actual amount of what they spend to their SO, chuck receipts out, request no invoice in the delivery package? Just me? I doubt it.

Anyway, its all fun and games and Im sure what Ive spent is a drop in the ocean (sorry I couldn't resist) compared to the endless possibilities this hobby can take.

What prompted this? I just spent over £175 on 1 light. I repeat...ONE light!!! Not to mention it is also second hand! It was double what I paid for the tank. But Im so happy for it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dont be like me, hit up several of livesales when I want supposed to, get everything in and acclimated without notice, then realize you used the joint debit card instead of my own credit card to buy everything...

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dont be like me, hit up several of livesales when I want supposed to, get everything in and acclimated without notice, then realize you used the joint debit card instead of my own credit card to buy everything...
HAHA - School boy error!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to spend more than makes sense for you each month.

You can find corals much cheaper locally than online.

Take it slow with livestock so you have a high survival rate.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend more than I tell the fiance I spend. But she knows that. She says ooo that's pretty let's get it but don't tell me how much it is... her addiction is just as big as mine.

For lighting I'm using a 48 inch T5 hybrid with 3 kessil A360WE. On a 48 x 24 foot print. Brand new that setup will run you north of $1500 usd. I bought gently used and spent less than $1000 usd.

There are good deals on everything just have to be willing to be patient.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to spend more than makes sense for you each month.

You can find corals much cheaper locally than online.

Take it slow with livestock so you have a high survival rate.
Good advice :) Thank you

I'm learning this.

I know some people only buy stuff second hand and others only buy new. What's the general consensus?

e.g. Ive just bought 1 AI Prime HD Reef light with bracket and shade second hand for £175. Is a second-hand light going to be any good? I guess it depends how long its been used for. I wonder how long the LEDS last.. s

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend more than I tell the fiance I spend. But she knows that. She says ooo that's pretty let's get it but don't tell me how much it is... her addiction is just as big as mine.

For lighting I'm using a 48 inch T5 hybrid with 3 kessil A360WE. On a 48 x 24 foot print. Brand new that setup will run you north of $1500 usd. I bought gently used and spent less than $1000 usd.

There are good deals on everything just have to be willing to be patient.
My SO does NOT share the same addiction as me - haha.

I guess I need to find a new one.

I just got a deal on new lights. Cant wait to set them up. Didn't pay as much as you but Im sure my tank is much smaller

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added up my nano build. I know a lot spend waaaaaayyyy more than I just did this week. But I did buy everything I need for it in the last week.
Ice cap skimmer
Reef breeders photon 24 v2+
Innovative marine tank
Stand materials (about 600)
Ato, heaters, heater controller, reefbreeders wake maker,
Algae scrubber, up sterilizer, air pump for algae scrubber,

I haven’t bought sand, rocks, fish, anything like that. I’m a couple months away from water and I’m over 3000. Next big expense is going to be live stock.
But I have found over the years that when I just buy right the first time I may spend a lick more at first. But, I’m more successful, my livestock are healthier, and my expenses down the road are way lower.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love used equipment, especially lights. I have an old blackbox, like first or second gen blackbox and it's doing just fine.

Return pumps, heaters, and powerheads I only buy new. Tanks, lights, protein skimmers, reactors I prefer to buy used.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added up my nano build. I know a lot spend waaaaaayyyy more than I just did this week. But I did buy everything I need for it in the last week.
Ice cap skimmer
Innovative marine tank

I haven’t bought sand, rocks, fish, anything like that. I’m a couple months away from water and I’m over 3000. Next big expense is going to be live stock.
But I have found over the years that when I just buy right the first time I may spend a lick more at first. But, I’m more successful, my livestock are healthier, and my expenses down the road are way lower.
This is a build I need to follow! WOW

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice cap skimmer
Innovative marine tank

Getting quality up front is a big win. So many reefers spend money on sub par equipment to begin with and have to trade it out in the long run. I totally agree, budget for good stuff and be patient.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love used equipment, especially lights. I have an old blackbox, like first or second gen blackbox and it's doing just fine.

Return pumps, heaters, and powerheads I only buy new. Tanks, lights, protein skimmers, reactors I prefer to buy used.
You would love me. In my shop I have a Bubble magus curve 7, a reef octopus classic HOB 1.5, a box full of pumps and powerheads, 3 black boxes, 3 or four ABI par 38 50/50 bulbs, grow lights out the a** (for my orchids, sumps, and when I listen to Townes van zandt), who knows what else. I always run everything in fresh water, clean with vinegar and store in its original box.

I should sell it all. But what if I decide to do a big tank... I'll be upset if I get rid of that bubble magus and want to use it in 9 months.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back