How much do you worry about your ATO?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a double-float system that has a sensor for if the unit sticks on, the second float shuts it off. Between that, and an air gap to prevent siphoning, I have never had a major mishap.

I actually use the very simple setup on autotopoff.com with a simple MJ1200 pump to move the water over. Foolproof for 4+ years, and very inexpensive!

I also use a autotopoff.com double electric float switch. Redundant and has been flawless for 7 years now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gravity fed system with float valve.

It is so easy and simple to elevate a top off container above the sump level and I am no more worried about failure than any other type ato.

Just don't use kalkwasser in it! It will crust the seat over time and the whole amount of water will flood into your system. If you don't, good man.

Never use kalkwasser with a float valve!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't use kalkwasser in it! It will crust the seat over time and the whole amount of water will flood into your system. If you don't, good man.

Never use kalkwasser with a float valve!

That's where you want one of these:
Calcium Dispenser
csm_5074.000_3dcb642288.jpg

Pump pushes water in the bottom, lightly stirring the kalk in the bottom.

You refill the kalk powder when you refill your ATO container with water, so it holds about a week's worth or so.

Keeps the kalk isolated from the pump AND from the atmosphere.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that said there should be enough room in your system for the full amount water on hand.
I run a 125 gal with a 40breeder sump. I have had ato dumb 5 gallons of water in because it created a siphon. I just slowly add salt to tank till salt level was correct then removed the excess water.
I had a pipe break on a 180 gal tank dumped about 30gallons on my floor. There is a 6x2' stain on my hardwood floor as a reminder.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where you want one of these:
Calcium Dispenser
csm_5074.000_3dcb642288.jpg

Pump pushes water in the bottom, lightly stirring the kalk in the bottom.

You refill the kalk powder when you refill your ATO container with water, so it holds about a week's worth or so.

Keeps the kalk isolated from the pump AND from the atmosphere.

Me likey!

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of the tunze 3155 i beleive. 2 on my systems and 1 as a spare just incase i have to send them to roger to fix a part that got wet

Airwarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Kent ATO about 4 years back fail on me. It got stuck from debris build up and flooded the room. Luckily it was the quarantine tank which is on a concrete floor in the basement, but all that water dropped the salinity to about 1.016. I only had a few clowns in it at the time so everyone was ok once I corrected it. Has to dry out the wall for about a week. Long story short it was more of neglect on my part to clean it. Honestly never thought about it happening like that so I never cleaned it.

Edit: forgot to mention, the ATO was attached directly to the RO/DI. I learned my lesson...

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me that I never see anyone using the Puratek Auto Level Controller. That's what I'm using... the sensor doesn't even mount in the water. So you never have to worry about salt creep build-up, snails, gunk etc. It has a programmable max run time per 24 hour period. It also has extra ports for additional level sensors. So you could set an additional one for a minimum level in the sump, one for inside of your ATO reservoir etc. The sensors can see through solid material.... mine is on the side of my sump which is white acrylic. It can even read water level through the side of a black Brute trash can.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just installed IM hydro fill ATO last week with DC1200 pump in connection to TLF kalk stirrer. So far in a week its working good and I am happy with them both. Let the time decides. For safer side I am not having more than 2 gallons in my reservoir and fill them for every two days.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 failproofs. One is the built in safties in the osmolator. I also have a float switch hooked up to an apex that is set to power off the ato when the sump gets to a critical height
What type of float switch. I'm looking for one that has a magnetic holder or something that will fit in my Trigger systems crystal sump. Are you using the breakout box with it?
Can you share your Apex code as well ( I can go onto neptune's forum but hey I can ask please

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tanks, 3 tunze's here. But for a third failsafe I use the apex salinity probe in conjunction with my ato also. I'd be more concerned about a screwy heater.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze 3155, if for any reason the sensor and float fail I have another float connected to the RKL to shut off the ATO. I do check the operation of the floats from time to time to make sure they are working as they should. With 3 fail safes I feel secure with my ATO.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze ATO, small ATO reservoir (~3% tank volume), cheap Amazon water alarm... Can't imagine the combination of issues that might cause me a problem.

Many years ago, when I was young and dumb... I wired a 24vdc solenoid valve to the source line on my RO/DI system, passing through a Kalk reactor, with the overflow piped directly to my sump. All controlled by a $6 float valve. I got real, real lucky, it never malfunctioned.

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used the Tunze Osmolator for my auto top off. It has a lot of built in fail safes so issues like that won't happen. It has been around for decades and is tried and true!

I couldn't agree more. I feel very safe and confident with my Tunze ATO.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back