How much do you worry about your ATO?

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my share of reef aquariums and because of that I have had my share of reef aquarium mishaps. The system before my current system was a 16 gallon Nuvo. I was asleep one night 4 or 5 years ago, with the Nuvo on a stand next to my bed. I woke up to the sound of rushing water, my tank was overflowing. The ATO engaged and never disengaged. I blame a magnet from a frag rack being the cause of the of this, as my nano ATO from ATO.com worked fine before I added the rack but I can't be sure.
My current reef is much larger, as it now a Nuvo 20 ;) and I top off by hand 2-4 times a day. I want an ATO, but I don't want to stress over it. I also don't want to spend the money on an Apex as a failsafe. I almost feel irrational and I am wondering your thoughts.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 failproofs. One is the built in safties in the osmolator. I also have a float switch hooked up to an apex that is set to power off the ato when the sump gets to a critical height

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the other night, I had the ATO dump six gallons of limewater into the tank during the middle of the night when I was having a drain issue. When I figured this out at 0530, I immediately removed six gallons of water from the 125 gallon system and checked calcium, dKH, magnesium, and salinity. The salinity was down one point to 1.024, the dKH was up at 10.9, but all other parameters were within acceptable limits. So far, no issues with any of the livestock. My sump is easily big enough to handle this situation several times over in terms of surge volume, and I worry about this scenario a lot less now than I used to.

The same situation on a small tank would be catastrophic.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 failproofs. One is the built in safely in the osmolator. I also have a float switch hooked up to an pex that is set to power off the ato when the sump gets to a critical height
I've been considering exactly this after my recent incident!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my share of reef aquariums and because of that I have had my share of reef aquarium mishaps. The system before my current system was a 16 gallon Nuvo. I was asleep one night 4 or 5 years ago, with the Nuvo on a stand next to my bed. I woke up to the sound of rushing water, my tank was overflowing. The ATO engaged and never disengaged. I blame a magnet from a frag rack being the cause of the of this, as my nano ATO from ATO.com worked fine before I added the rack but I can't be sure.
My current reef is much larger, as it now a Nuvo 20 ;) and I top off by hand 2-4 times a day. I want an ATO, but I don't want to stress over it. I also don't want to spend the money on an Apex as a failsafe. I almost feel irrational and I am wondering your thoughts.

The whole volume of your ATO reservoir should be able to fit into the tank at any given time. Foolproof. :) Might take some re-thinking too.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, you don't have to have an Apex as a failsafe. You could wire up a 120VAC relay that drops the power on the ATO pump when the level in the sump gets too high. Much cheaper than an Apex, although I strongly recommend the Apex for other reasons! :)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Osmolator goes into safe mode if the pump runs continuously for more than a couple minutes. In that time we are talking like 1/2 gallon of top-off at most.

Even if that fail safe fails, the float switch will shut it down.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is pretty good if kept clean, mine has failed a few times during the years. Not over flowing, but not reading the water level correctly and allowing my pump to run dry.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've toyed with the idea of taking a small top off water source and setting up a drip feed to my frag QT. I may do it this weekend.

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gravity fed system with float valve.

It is so easy and simple to elevate a top off container above the sump level and I am no more worried about failure than any other type ato.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry about mine at all, but I built mine and run it through my apex and it has a backup to prevent overflows. Not to mention, my ATO is directly connected to a RODI unit. So what I'm saying is that if you have an auto top off system, you should have a fail safe on it to help prevent a disaster. You will get some sleep then.

OP
OP
Nooonan

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Tunze in the past without issues but most of the others I've had issues with. I wouldn't even consider using a Hydor or IM ATO.

I like the looks of the Smart Micro ATO for its size but I am not sure on its reliability without a fail safe. The Icecap ATO has a high and low float (or sensor, not sure) which would come in handy.

I'm still topping off by hand for now.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a double-float system that has a sensor for if the unit sticks on, the second float shuts it off. Between that, and an air gap to prevent siphoning, I have never had a major mishap.

I actually use the very simple setup on autotopoff.com with a simple MJ1200 pump to move the water over. Foolproof for 4+ years, and very inexpensive!

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Icecap ATO has a high and low float (or sensor, not sure) which would come in handy.

I'm still topping off by hand for now.

I went with the Icecap ATO when they first came out a few months ago. It's a dual optical sensor which uses one for water level and the other is for high water optical sensor. It has worked flawless for me for a couple months now and the price was right for me. I would never use a single sensor system for an ATO myself.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a double-float system that has a sensor for if the unit sticks on, the second float shuts it off. Between that, and an air gap to prevent siphoning, I have never had a major mishap.

I actually use the very simple setup on autotopoff.com with a simple MJ1200 pump to move the water over. Foolproof for 4+ years, and very inexpensive!

Exactly. Awesome setup. I have never had issues with ATO system once I installed a second float for backup.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole volume of your ATO reservoir should be able to fit into the tank at any given time. Foolproof. :) Might take some re-thinking too.

That's why i have only a 16 gallon ATO reservoir on 200 gallon system. It will throw things off, a little, but nothing I can't fix relatively quick.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back