How much does your tank temperature fluctuate?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a reef tank and I dropped my temperature slightly before getting my starfish. I noticed my tank temperatures varies between 74-79 F depending on how hot it is outside and what my A/C is at. I set my tank to 76-77 F which I know is not a lot of wiggle room. How much does yours fluctuate? And have you ever lost anything due to major fluctuations which happens in the ocean but stability is important?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was fighting with nature, my temp fluctuated between 76-79F. With using a chiller.

I accepted that I can’t keep fighting my climate and equipment. Now it’s stable from 79.5F to 80F. :)

edit: I still use my chiller, It just works much less.

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too and I was at Reef-A-Palooza thankfully nothing died and I was able to get someone to turn on my A/C.
The first heatwave I had was during late spring where my tank went from a cool 77F to 84F. Was in the ER with a family member so couldn't manually cool down the tank. Instant STN on one of my acro...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank and I dropped my temperature slightly before getting my starfish. I noticed my tank temperatures varies between 74-79 F depending on how hot it is outside and what my A/C is at. I set my tank to 76-77 F which I know is not a lot of wiggle room. How much does yours fluctuate? And have you ever lost anything due to major fluctuations which happens in the ocean but stability is important?
I would let your tank tell you where it wants to be. But you should definitely be in control...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my InkBird set to keep the tank within half of a degree, but according to my apex my temp fluctuates closer to 1 and a half degrees.
When the temps outside change it will effect how often my heater has to run but it never effects my temperature. It only effects the heater because of my outside air intake for my skimmer. In the winter my skimmer is really cold.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally the control is within 0.5 F, but I change the temp seasonally. 80 in summer 76 in winter

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an Inkbird controller with a single 300w titanium heater on a 170 gal system it's 77.5 - 78.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-01 224600.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-01 224600.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 26

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t witnessed extreme temperature fluctuations however, if they fluctuate slowly over a period of time, the stress will be limited on livestock. I use a fan for evaporational cooling as the fan blowing across the top of the water does a good job of cooling the water in the summer. Having a cover or wrapping the tank with a blanket in the winter will help to keep water warm especially in a power outage.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back