How much filter floss should I use?

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coralife biocube 32g. I've attached the current (and only) filter I am using (that came with it). I received my filter floss today. Should I cut the filter floss to the size of this filter, or should I cut it to only 3/4 of this size (as it looks like really only 3/4 of it is being utilized)?
I plan on placing the white side up of the filter floss. I plan on putting it below this one, and then eventually getting rid of this one, as my tank is still cycling. Should I be rinsing out the filter floss every so often? Can they be washed, and re-used?

20180626_170433 (1).jpg

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the InTank biocube media baskets. I have one for my biocube and it was probably the best upgrade I did for the tank.

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I would also recommend getting the InTank media basket. I had one on my old bio cube. You should also get some polyester filter fiber and just rip a ball to put in the first chamber of the basket, and then get something like chemipure blue to put in the second chamber of the basket.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the InTank biocube media baskets. I have one for my biocube and it was probably the best upgrade I did for the tank.
How does the intank differ from the one that comes with the tank? I only notice that it takes up 1/2 of the width.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the intank differ from the one that comes with the tank? I only notice that it takes up 1/2 of the width.

It channels water into and down the media basket thru each chamber. For example, you can add filter floss in the first chamber and You can add Purigen in the second and carbon in the 3rd. It's just a more efficient way to filter your aquarium I feel.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I have a 3D printer and printed a replacement for the normal filter and use that to hold my filter floss.
513d0f8740bfea174fbd9d5d8bbeff14_preview_featured.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coralife biocube 32g. I've attached the current (and only) filter I am using (that came with it). I received my filter floss today. Should I cut the filter floss to the size of this filter, or should I cut it to only 3/4 of this size (as it looks like really only 3/4 of it is being utilized)?
I plan on placing the white side up of the filter floss. I plan on putting it below this one, and then eventually getting rid of this one, as my tank is still cycling. Should I be rinsing out the filter floss every so often? Can they be washed, and re-used?

20180626_170433 (1).jpg
I planning to get an in tank media basket like the other fine folks mentioned on here. I also pitched the stock filter and using the poly pad. 3 pack from Amazon and they last for a long time, no trimming, almost a perfect fit.

IMG_20180628_212103.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180626_170433 (1).jpg
I wouldn't reuse them, once they plug up they fail, have two occuances where the filter completely plugged up. I'm not sure if it would have overflowed but it had my middle chamber above the filter full.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back