how much flow for 300 gallons

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there,
I have a 300 gallon finally all set up, but I need to bump up my flow. I am running a jabao 180 wavemaker on one end, and 2 AQQA 2100 gph wavemakers, one on opposite end of gyre, and one on the back. I'd like to know if I should add 1 more of the AQQA, and really how much flow I need. it's a mixed tank...

Thanks in advance

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a setup similar with 3 mp40s in an all SPS 300 gallon tank. I think you are probably in a good spot for a mixed reef.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a setup similar with 3 mp40s in an all SPS 300 gallon tank. I think you are probably in a good spot for a mixed reef.
You don't think I need more flow? a friend of mine, has a 280, and he told me I'd need to upgrade what I have, for more. ? I am also running a Vectra L1 and that's 3200 gph...I notice though, that It seems like I have more flow in some places vs others, so maybe I just need to move them around a bit?
Thanks

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked the mp40s gph as I had forgotten and I think at max speed they are around 4000. So perhaps a bit more flow in your system wouldn’t hurt

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked the mp40s gph as I had forgotten and I think at max speed they are around 4000. So perhaps a bit more flow in your system wouldn’t hurt
Thank You @Sebae! I will order another one of the AQQA max, and add that.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the rockwork, the type of corals, the size of the corals,
yeah, they're all small frags, some are growing out a bit 3-4 inches tall....2 stylo's that are decent...but really the rest are small. I have 3 hammers, because husband got a bit reckless and broke my colony a few years ago, and a wall hammer...Just dont want to blow them to bits, and they're pretty happy with life right now, having a gentle sway to them. However, that end of the tank, the new sand that I used, is getting the all dreaded brown glow...where as the other side, not at all. so I can see where my flow is not as good. I suppose I should move some coral, and then go from there. I just hate to do that, when everyone seems so happy

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they're all small frags, some are growing out a bit 3-4 inches tall....2 stylo's that are decent...but really the rest are small. I have 3 hammers, because husband got a bit reckless and broke my colony a few years ago, and a wall hammer...Just dont want to blow them to bits, and they're pretty happy with life right now, having a gentle sway to them. However, that end of the tank, the new sand that I used, is getting the all dreaded brown glow...where as the other side, not at all. so I can see where my flow is not as good. I suppose I should move some coral, and then go from there. I just hate to do that, when everyone seems so happy

You can always get a small directional powerhead for low flow areas. I have cheap flucal powerhead to clear debris from behind a rock that normally builds up crud behind it.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always get a small directional powerhead for low flow areas. I have cheap flucal powerhead to clear debris from behind a rock that normally builds up crud behind it.
I may do that. I'm just wanting to know if I have enough, because of the sticks I have in there... I think I'm good though, but like you said, I couldnt probably go wrong adding a smaller one in there

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back