How much is your most expensive coral?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s no secret that this hobby is expensive and why I told myself I wouldn’t ever spend more than like $200 on a single coral or fish. Especially because it could die on me. I also feel like corals should not be thousands of dollars and I can spend my money on better things but I guess some coral are like designer brands. So…I’m curious how much is your most expensive coral and what is it?

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying an expensive coral is still probably not as bad as buying frags of a certain variety of leptoseris over and over again...swearing to yourself that it's going to work this time...and killing them every time. I swear this is not a personal anecdote.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no secret that this hobby is expensive and why I told myself I wouldn’t ever spend more than like $200 on a single coral or fish. Especially because it could die on me. I also feel like corals should not be thousands of dollars and I can spend my money on better things but I guess some coral are like designer brands. I’m curious how much is your most expensive coral and what is it?
Never gone over like $85 for a coral.

Did recently drop $225 for a good sized purple tang, but that was store credit from frag sales so not sure it really counts. :)

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never gone over like $85 for a coral.

Did recently drop $225 for a good sized purple tang, but that was store credit from frag sales so not sure it really counts. :)
I’d definitely want a purple tang one day and I know they are pricer. And I enjoy spending my money on reefing gadgets over coral.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Buying an expensive coral is still probably not as bad as buying frags of a certain variety of leptoseris over and over again...swearing to yourself that it's going to work this time...and killing them every time. I swear this is not a personal anecdote.
I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about....
*slowly hides dead bird's nest skeletons behind tanks*
Christine Ebersole Reaction GIF by CBS

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no secret that this hobby is expensive and why I told myself I wouldn’t ever spend more than like $200 on a single coral or fish. Especially because it could die on me. I also feel like corals should not be thousands of dollars and I can spend my money on better things but I guess some coral are like designer brands. So…I’m curious how much is your most expensive coral and what is it?
2DC131DB-8A45-4D5F-801F-D1FCB770305D.gif

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The most I have spent was 225, on a single coral, which was my Walt Disney frag. Most expensive fish will be the Achillies Tang that I will be picking up this weekend.

I honestly feel that the prices we are paying are crazy, which is why I have slowed down some. I was on a website the other day and seen one of the corals I had bought for 61 bucks on a live sale here on R2R is now going for 249 bucks, which amazes me. One day when my system grows out and I am forced to start fragging stuff, I guess I may get some of the money back, but I am not in it for the money. Its about the fun

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly feel that the prices we are paying are crazy, which is why I have slowed down some. I was on a website the other day and seen one of the corals I had bought for 61 bucks on a live sale here on R2R is now going for 249 bucks, which amazes me. One day when my system grows out and I am forced to start fragging stuff, I guess I may get some of the money back, but I am not in it for the money. Its about the fun
You know I definitely have heard prices went up significantly and with COVID everything went up. The coral market is kind of like gas prices different everywhere lol.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about....
*slowly hides dead bird's nest skeletons behind tanks*
Christine Ebersole Reaction GIF by CBS
Wow I’m attacked (looking at my birdnest graveyard). Birds nest are the hardest corals to grow and no one will be able to change my mind about that.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rule that I won’t spend over $100 for any single frag. I have many corals that “retail” from a vendor for way more than that but I haven’t gone over my limit from my out of pocket cost. I find myself using a bunch of giftcards that I win from various vendors.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. Wanna say I paid like $300.
I tried a frag of the holy grail micomussa too maybe about 6 months after starting up again but it died.
One of my 1st lps.corals was an awsome trashy I got for $85 at seamaxx like 09' maybe
This scoly.i bought prob 10 yrs ago and.remember trading it in when I broke down and went dry no tank for 5yrs+
D

Attachments

• 12625753_948019255286035_1196900262_n.jpg
    12625753_948019255286035_1196900262_n.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 51

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back