How much is your most expensive coral?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D9002514-1949-42B1-877C-305B49FF1652.jpeg
I just saw that on some site, I think? Nice one-of-a-kind for sure!

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I just bought a 4in OG bounce,2 in jawbreaker tye die,Sunkist bounce and a flame angel.all from the same reefer thats moving. Im extremely happy

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no secret that this hobby is expensive and why I told myself I wouldn’t ever spend more than like $200 on a single coral or fish. Especially because it could die on me. I also feel like corals should not be thousands of dollars and I can spend my money on better things but I guess some coral are like designer brands. So…I’m curious how much is your most expensive coral and what is it?
setting new records every week :downcast-face-with-sweat:

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $600 for a pretty large NY Knick torch colony.

The shop I bought that from had a HUGE acanthophylia, like the biggest I've ever seen, with insane colors. I asked how much it was out of curiosity, and he said it was $7000 but had already been sold and was just waiting for the buyers new tank to be ready for it. It was there for a few months and was always looking great. I went in one time and saw it was gone, and the shop owner told me the guy put it in his tank and it died after a week. Yikes!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s no secret that this hobby is expensive and why I told myself I wouldn’t ever spend more than like $200 on a single coral or fish. Especially because it could die on me. I also feel like corals should not be thousands of dollars and I can spend my money on better things but I guess some coral are like designer brands. So…I’m curious how much is your most expensive coral and what is it?
I went nuts one day and bought what I would call a pseudo rainbow Acanthophyllia. It’s red, green and blue. Stunning piece, my fav coral and it’s going strong 2 years in.

Can’t remember exactly how much it was, but it was over $1,000. No regrets, though I probably won’t do it again.

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$125 for a 3 head Indo gold torch. It definitely hurt my wallet a bit and I doubt I'll do it again anytime soon, but man is it cool.

I was in the Indy area for work recently and found a reef store that looked worth the stop. On their FB page they announced they had 2, Kingi angels for sale at $6k each. This was posted on a Friday or Saturday and I stopped at the store on the following Tuesday. I asked where they were because it's probably the only time I'll see a $6k fish in person. The guy told me they're already gone, sold. Wow.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The shop I bought that from had a HUGE acanthophylia, like the biggest I've ever seen, with insane colors. I asked how much it was out of curiosity, and he said it was $7000 but had already been sold and was just waiting for the buyers new tank to be ready for it. It was there for a few months and was always looking great. I went in one time and saw it was gone, and the shop owner told me the guy put it in his tank and it died after a week. Yikes!
$7,000 for an Acanthophyllia? That's insane.

I have 3 of them, and paid something like $1,200 for a beautiful red, green and blue one a couple of years ago. Only time I've ever done that (and likely ever will). The others were much less expensive, but still overpriced. Can't imagine paying that much for a single coral. Wow.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$7,000 for an Acanthophyllia? That's insane.

I have 3 of them, and paid something like $1,200 for a beautiful red, green and blue one a couple of years ago. Only time I've ever done that (and likely ever will). The others were much less expensive, but still overpriced. Can't imagine paying that much for a single coral. Wow.
Yeah, it was an insane Acantho... Take the diameter of the biggest one you've ever seen at your LFS and then double that. I probably could have fit my fist in it's mouth, haha. And the colors on it were absolutely brilliant!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Is it bad that I call this karma especially in a new tank? Lesson learned for him and why 99% of us won’t ever spend that much. But if someone has $7,000 to spend on a coral that’s like pocket change for them and to me is price gouging on the seller! I don’t care how rare it is. The prices in this hobby are already very expensive.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$220 for this amazing torch during an SBB live sale. Urchin knocked it into one of my hammers and they killed each other by the time I found them the next morning. It was doing really well too.

Will be another year before I can afford to do that again, but I hope I can replace it in my growing torch garden some day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back