How much light is to much light for chalice corals

  • Thread starter Thread starter bkss709
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bkss709

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
434
Reaction score
2
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting into Chalice corals and have been in the hobbie for 20+ years but never had chalice corals before i have had all other LPS corals. I have 13 diffrent Chalice corals some of them are named chalice and the others are no name the named ones are ( BMG , Miami Hurrican , Pink Lemonade , Alien Eye , Rainbow Chalice ) The system i am putting them in is only 10 inches deep and 4 foot long and 2 foot wide i have all my sps in this system but is this to shallow for Chalice corals. The lighting is a 660 Icecap and the bulbs i am using are ULV true Actinic , Fiji Purple , Ati blue plus , KZ New Gen 14k and the lights are 12 inches off the water surface. Any help will be great.

Thanks
Brian
 
it all depends on the individual chalice. For instance the Flame thrower is perfectly happy in 18 inches of water under a 400 watt halide, however others will bleach and die under a 250 in 20 inches of water. I guess what I am trying to say is chalices can be all over the board as far as light requirements go.
 
I also agree with roshi. I have over 45 chalices under a 400 mh 20K. I have only had 1 chalice to slightly bleach. It's in a more shaded area now. I do keep all on the floor of the tank.
 
That is crazy i have always been told low light and always see these chalice coral all over the place like you said and then i see people keeping all ther chalices on the floor of the tank. My blood Chalice loves high light but that is the only one that is easy to place anywhere.
 
I've got chalices all over my tank (18 inches deep ) and under 250W 20K's, some alittle lower than others but all are thriving. Also have them in med flow
 
Not only does it depend on the chalice, but it also depends on the nutrients in the tank. In higher nutrients (to a certain extent) coral can take higher light. That is why in one tank a chalice might bleach and in another it might thrive in the same intensity light.
 
Yes i am in the same place is you my Nutrient levels are low so i guess i will have to put them in less light so they will get more colored up .
 
I just placed one I got today about 9" deep under an xr15 running about 20% intensity, phosphates are .5 Mg 1380 Alk 8.3 Ca 370. I will see how it does. Ill post some photos.

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 9.49.37 PM.png
 
Wow, a blast from President Obama's first year in office....
Good times
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new