How much live/dry rock do I need?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read/heard tons of conflicting information on this subject. How much live and dry rock do I need for my 29g tank?

My budget is around $60 for all of it. I know that’s really not that much, so I was thinking this:

-15lb of dry rock ($2/lb)
-4lb of live rock ($6/lb)

Does that sound good?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read/heard tons of conflicting information on this subject. How much live and dry rock do I need for my 29g tank?

My budget is around $60 for all of it. I know that’s really not that much, so I was thinking this:

Does that sound good?
You'd be better off getting as much dry rock as you can, and then a lb of live rock just to seed everything. So preferably like 28 lb dry rock and 1 lb live rock.

P.S. $2/lb dry rock sounds very cheap. Where are you getting your rock from?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does that sound good?

are you having any bio media in the chambers/sump?

I have only a little rock in my tank but have made up the difference with bio media, remember rock these days is not very porous, bio media has many times the surface area of the majority of rock we use in our tanks, I would add as much as you feel looks good, then if it looks on the low side as bio media.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be better off getting as much dry rock as you can, and then a lb of live rock just to seed everything. So preferably like 28 lb dry rock and 1 lb live rock.

P.S. $2/lb dry rock sounds very cheap. Where are you getting your rock from?
Oh really? Ok!

My LFS, it’s a little place called “PETropilis”. Awesome little place. :)

I’m terrible at judging how big/how many pieces of rock “1lb” is.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you having any bio media in the chambers/sump?

I have only a little rock in my tank but have made up the difference with bio media, remember rock these days is not very porous, bio media has many times the surface area of the majority of rock we use in our tanks, I would add as much as you feel looks good, then if it looks on the low side as bio media.
Sadly no, I just have a HOB filter. :/

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? Ok!

My LFS, it’s a little place called “PETropilis”. Awesome little place. :)

I’m terrible at judging how big/how many pieces of rock “1lb” is.
Me too! XD

Do they have a scale?

If it helps, a good way to start on a budget is to go as much dry rock as possible. You only need a very small piece of live rock to seed things tbh.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! XD

Do they have a scale?

If it helps, a good way to start on a budget is to go as much dry rock as possible. You only need a very small piece of live rock to seed things tbh.
Me too! XD

Do they have a scale?

Yes, they do have a scale.

That makes sense though!

There's a lot of biomedia that can fit in a HOB filter. Seachem Matrix, MarinePure gems, etc. :D
Oh, i do have Seachem Matrix in my HOB right now. ;)

(I have a course sponge, active carbon/floss, and a fine sponge)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe 20lb of dry rock and 3lb of live rock? (I calculated, and that’s pretty much all I can afford right now)

that is loads, maybe too much, I personally wouldn't go with the live rock,it's really not needed, if it was all live and from a good source then yes, but if the source is not that great and you are only buying a little, it is not going to shorten your cycle, so not sure why bother.

I would either go for all dry and wait a full month for the cycle or add a bottle,of Fritz bacteria to shorten the cycle a little.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is loads, maybe too much, I personally wouldn't go with the live rock,it's really not needed, if it was all live and from a good source then yes, but if the source is not that great and you are only buying a little, it is not going to shorten your cycle, so not sure why bother.

I would either go for all dry and wait a full month for the cycle or add a bottle,of Fritz bacteria to shorten the cycle a little.
My only concern is op is on a budget, so might not have the money to buy Fritz. But yeah to be honest I am just trying to use up all the $60, 23 lb rocks total should do eh.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy however much looks good in the tank for your scape. There are plenty of examples of different scapes, some minimalistic and they all work.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do have Instant Ocean Bio-Spira, and I plan to cycle with that.

Why not 27 lb of dry rock and 1 lb of live rock?
I will see the quality of the live rock before I get it, so I will get 2lb of live rock, max. I will get a lot of dry rock though!

Do you guys have any pictures of your tanks and the amount of rock you have in there, so I can get an idea of how much rock will “fill up” my tank?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will see the quality of the live rock before I get it, so I will get 2lb of live rock, max. I will get a lot of dry rock though!

Do you guys have any pictures of your tanks and the amount of rock you have in there, so I can get an idea of how much rock will “fill up” my tank?

good plan. The big piece of rock at the back has since been chopped in half so even less than this picture is showing
32A0B13A-3A54-4ABD-BE44-A25F4C232219.jpeg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! Yeah okay you probably don't have to worry too much about seeding then. As for images, here's mine, 16 lb for 20 gallons. Though maybe about 2 lbs is in my back chamber, so maybe more like 14 lbs.

Attachments

• 20210109_134440.jpg
    20210109_134440.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 37

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting even a small amount of Live Rock in your tank will save you a lot of frustration and money, in both the near-term and long-term. That's my 2 cents of advice.
Absolutely right. Much better to spend your money on a few pieces of live rock instead of bottle bac.

Plus you can always join a local club and ask the group if anyone has some live rock rubble they wouldn't mind clearing out of their tank. The more variety of bacteria strains you can get the better in my opinion.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why bother? For bacterial diversity and the microfauna. I say this all the time, but to me, a reef tank isn’t a reef tank without the microfauna.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back