How much live rock can I remove

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently become unhappy with the height of my aquascape and am thinking of lowering it to add more negative space and allow for more mounting space for lower light corals.
However to do this I’d have to remove one very large bit of live rock, a single piece that makes up around 1/3 of the total LR in the aquarium.
This aquarium is a very low tech 10g with just a HOB filter so the LR in this tank is doing most of the heavy lifting. It is also heavily stocked, housing one bangaii, one clown and an eviota goby.
Would it be worth it to remove a 10 year old peace of LR to make the tank more visually appealing to me?
I don’t know how many pounds of rock this system has so I’ve attached a picture of the aquascape for reference. Would removing a third of this be too much? How would I deal with the weeks/ months after removal? Just extra water changes?
A4E7421C-449A-4CA5-BD3A-C0EB33BE9FF4.jpeg

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a rescape, rather than removal? You've got enough pieces there you should be able to get all levels of light in the tank.
I’ve tried :). I’ve rescaped the tank three times now. The large piece rock is 28 cm long and the tank is 35 wide. Very difficult to make the rockwork lower than it is now with such a large peace.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried :). I’ve rescaped the tank three times now. The large piece rock is 28 cm long and the tank is 35 wide. Very difficult to make the rockwork lower than it is now with such a large peace.
Got it.

Given that your filtration is basically the rock, I would attempt to do a swap out for more appropriate sized rocks. Removing a third may have no negative impact at all but I'd prefer to be covered.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish like to hide completely. If you replace that by arches negative space, fish will not be able to hide and will be more stress.
I would brake the rock in 3 or 4 pieces and reshape it. May be remove only one of these broken pieces.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back