How much NOPOX to dose

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually do wet skim and get a cup per day
Do you have additional bio filtration media in the sump - Mantis blocks, or Marine Pure, etc.

Nitrate remineralisation happens in anaerobic conditions, the bacteria need to grow somewhere.
Not sure if you're using real or artificial rockwork.
The artificial rock has no where near the internal surface area of natural rock.
You could try giving it a boost with something like Equation M together with NoPox (as the carbon source).

I found MB7 or Equation M kicked the nitrate removal up a notch.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have .08 at weekend test. How much do I need?
My last ICP said my PO4 was .132ppm and Phosphorus 43ug/l set point 6-23ug/l

I refer to the following from fellow reefer #JNalley

According to this article: https://www.researchgate.net/public...rial_element_ratios_and_nutrient_regeneration

The ratio for bacteria to consume nitrate and phosphate is C: N: P 52:8:1 - 163:25:1

So in order to consume lots of phosphate, you need anywhere between 8 and 25 times the amount of nitrate and 52 to 163 times the amount of organic carbon.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have additional bio filtration media in the sump - Mantis blocks, or Marine Pure, etc.

Nitrate remineralisation happens in anaerobic conditions, the bacteria need to grow somewhere.
Not sure if you're using real or artificial rockwork.
The artificial rock has no where near the internal surface area of natural rock.
You could try giving it a boost with something like Equation M together with NoPox (as the carbon source).

I found MB7 or Equation M kicked the nitrate removal up a notch.
I run a Bubble Magus G2 fleece roller
Mantis 120 skimmer
I have real live rock in DT and sump plus mantis x2 and genesis x2 blocks.
I have moved 2 of the mantis blocks to an area over lower flow.

I am thinking of building a Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer but a smaller scale since my tank is only 30 gal.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Bubble Magus G2 fleece roller
Mantis 120 skimmer
I have real live rock in DT and sump plus mantis x2 and genesis x2 blocks.
I have moved 2 of the mantis blocks to an area over lower flow.

I am thinking of building a Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer but a smaller scale since my tank is only 30 gal.
Well, you're doing everything right - maybe nitrate from another source - Source water?

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but RODI fitration does not remove Nitrate or Phosphates :).

Have you checked your freshly mixed salt water for Nitrates?
Yes. ZERO detected

I have been doing multiple 20 liter WC the last few weeks and calculating the expected drop in NO3 per liter. This calculation proved correct telling me I was at least not adding NO3 with WC.

My first ICP tested my RODI. It was pristine.
My subsequent ICP were Triton who don't test RODI so my next ICP will be with the company that does.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your nitrates down? I know old thread.
Recently I had nitrates down to 10-15 using 8 ml per day.
I wondered why I could not keep SPS alive then reread the instructions and watched a recent redsea video saying DO NOT over dose. Symptoms might be receeding polyps.
I then realised my 8ml per day was an over dose so I cut back and started again at .5ml and slowly raised it to the recommended max of 3ml per 100 liters. On a 120 liter tank that's 3.6ml
I've been a 3.6 now for a week and my nitrates are at 20 and dropping. But not in the numbers I keep reading where people say they struggle to have any nitrates.
I'm dropping maybe 1ppm per day.

If I get down to 10ppm consistently then I will say NOPOX worked for me. Until then I am still only hoping.

I have 4 bio bricks in my tank. Instructions for each says 2 is enough for my tank
I have other bio media as well plus a sort of refugium with cheato and a skimmer.

I would expect with all this I'd be struggling to have any nitrate.

Now I may be over stocked with animals. So maybe at the end of the day it's all my fault?
Foxface
Lemonpeel
6 line wrasse
Flame hawk
2x clowns
mandarin
chocolate goby
lawnmower blenny
2 chromis
mimic filefish

longspine urchin
6 trocus
6 zombie
4 hermits
3x anemones

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered why I could not keep SPS alive then reread the instructions and watched a recent redsea video saying DO NOT over dose. Symptoms might be receeding polyps.
I then realised my 8ml per day was an over dose so I cut back and started again at .5ml and slowly raised it to the recommended max of 3ml per 100 liters. On a 120 liter tank that's 3.6ml
I've been a 3.6 now for a week and my nitrates are at 20 and dropping. But not in the numbers I keep reading where people say they struggle to have any nitrates.

If I get down to 10ppm consistently then I will say NOPOX worked for me. Until then I am still only hoping.

I have 4 bio bricks in my tank. Instructions for each says 2 is enough for my tank
I have other bio media as well plus a sort of refugium with cheato and a skimmer.

Now I may be over stocked with animals. So maybe at the end of the day it's all my fault?
Foxface
Lemonpeel
6 line wrasse
Flame hawk
2x clowns
mandarin
chocolate goby
lawnmower blenny
2 chromis
mimic filefish

longspine urchin
6 trocus
6 zombie
4 hermits
3x anemones
I wouldn't be trying to get your nitrates any lower then 20, that's a fine place to be if it's consistent.

It's all too easy to strip nitrates with Carbon dosing of any type, one day the conditions will click and you will find it difficult to keep them up. I don't believe the bio blocks make any difference - all the work is done in the real live rock.

Just check Nitrates and Phosphates every couple of weeks.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be trying to get your nitrates any lower then 20, that's a fine place to be if it's consistent.

It's all too easy to strip nitrates with Carbon dosing of any type, one day the conditions will click and you will find it difficult to keep them up. I don't believe the bio blocks make any difference - all the work is done in the real live rock.

Just check Nitrates and Phosphates every couple of weeks.
I have enough LR I hope. More in sump

Attachments

• 20230906_190557.jpg
    20230906_190557.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 31

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Foxface
Lemonpeel
6 line wrasse
Flame hawk
2x clowns
mandarin
chocolate goby
lawnmower blenny
2 chromis
mimic filefish

longspine urchin
6 trocus
6 zombie
4 hermits
3x anemones
I struggle with nitrates in all of my tanks. Even feeding lightly, and they're lightly stocked tanks (I don't guess there's such a thing as lightly stocked pico, unless it's fishless, but nonetheless). I run a pretty similar setup on my reefer 250, and again, struggle to keep nitrates down. Just put nopox on a doser (I have been manually dosing 5 mL daily) and I'm gonna let it ride and see how it does.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with nitrates in all of my tanks. Even feeding lightly, and they're lightly stocked tanks (I don't guess there's such a thing as lightly stocked pico, unless it's fishless, but nonetheless). I run a pretty similar setup on my reefer 250, and again, struggle to keep nitrates down. Just put nopox on a doser (I have been manually dosing 5 mL daily) and I'm gonna let it ride and see how it does.
I'm at about 20 now. Somehow I managed to get down to 5ppm and no idea what I've done different to get it back to 20.
I do about 20WC a week if not 40.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Foxface
Lemonpeel
6 line wrasse
Flame hawk
2x clowns
mandarin
chocolate goby
lawnmower blenny
2 chromis
mimic filefish

longspine urchin
6 trocus
6 zombie
4 hermits
3x anemones
Yeah, sounds like overstocked tank, so many fish and some of them quite large for 120 liter water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refer to the following from fellow reefer #JNalley

According to this article: https://www.researchgate.net/public...rial_element_ratios_and_nutrient_regeneration

The ratio for bacteria to consume nitrate and phosphate is C: N: P 52:8:1 - 163:25:1

So in order to consume lots of phosphate, you need anywhere between 8 and 25 times the amount of nitrate and 52 to 163 times the amount of organic carbon.

I do not believe that is a correct interpretation, and I do not think reefers should be setting targets based on ratios as they can be highly misleading.

In general, bacteria will have a hard time growing if N or P are inadequate for the needs, and keeping both at appropriate levels eliminates that concern. The paper shows low growth at low N. It does not ever actually test the ratio hypothesis by, say testing the same ratio at different P levels (same ratio, but both N and P low, N and P high, etc.). They used only a single P and varied N.

Since this paper is freshwater and not seawater, then IMO, little can usefully be extrapolated from it in terms of absolute concentrations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but RODI fitration does not remove Nitrate or Phosphates :).

Have you checked your freshly mixed salt water for Nitrates?

What? RO/DI will certainly reduce nitrate and phosphate in the source water.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet I have had nitrates at less than 10.
Every artificial system like our tanks has its limitation to process fish waste. The bigger the fish the bigger is amount of ammonia they excrete through their gills, this excess of ammonia will be converted to nitrate by bacteria and will slowly accumulate in the tank. And it isn't only ammonia in fish waste. Doesn't matter how many nitrate removal methods you will use sooner or later they will become inefficient because the fish will continue to grow.
All I am saying is your fish deserve a bigger home now :).
Regarding nitrate and NOPOX it looks many carbon dosing methods - nopox, vodka, biopelets facing hard times to process nitrates above 50ppm. Fellow reefers report better results lowering nitrates below 20ppm with water changes and then starting nopox/vodka dosing.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every artificial system like our tanks has its limitation to process fish waste. The bigger the fish the bigger is amount of ammonia they excrete through their gills, this excess of ammonia will be converted to nitrate by bacteria and will slowly accumulate in the tank. And it isn't only ammonia in fish waste. Doesn't matter how many nitrate removal methods you will use sooner or later they will become inefficient because the fish will continue to grow.
All I am saying is your fish deserve a bigger home now :).
Regarding nitrate and NOPOX it looks many carbon dosing methods - nopox, vodka, biopelets facing hard times to process nitrates above 50ppm. Fellow reefers report better results lowering nitrates below 20ppm with water changes and then starting nopox/vodka dosing.
Yes they deserve a reefsys326
Just waiting on minister of finance

Back