How much/often to feed Tuxedo Urchin?

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some group advice on how often to feed my tuxedo since he's plowed through all of the nuisance algae in my tank. He comes to chill at the top of my glass and I'll put a piece of nori around the size of his body next to him and he'll pull it in and devour it in less than a day. Wondering if this beast needs even more than that? Doubt I could be over feeding him since he accepts it all willingly and doesn't leave any behind. He seems pretty happy...still wanders around and carries stuff on his back. Want to make sure he stays that way though, so I'd love some input from other tuxedo owners.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed mine nori typically about 3 times a week. It's amazing how they get used to the routine and show up at the nori clip to eat.

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed mine nor have i ever target fed it. And its been roamimg around my tank 5 years in June. I have an abundance of coralline algae as well as a lil hair algae. It prefers the coralline.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed mine nori typically about 3 times a week. It's amazing how they get used to the routine and show up at the nori clip to eat.
Yeah, mine has figured out that being at the top of the glass up front gets him a square of nori and now he's in the same spot pretty much every day waiting. If my green hair algae ever comes back I might have to pluck him off the glass to get him to go grazing again. Hahaha

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you all keep nori in the tank for any length of time, mine is decimated by my yellow tank, lawnmower blenny and even the wrasses in minutes.

Luckily I have a lot of turf algae for my two urchins to eat until I have to worry about feeding them.

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you feed these guys other seaweeds besides nori? My local health food store offers a wide variety of dried seaweeds. Since they are safe for human consumption I'd guess they would be safe for urchins?

Cheers,
rant

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish nori from the asian aisle, and I know there are different colored sea weeds. I assume all are safe, but I'm not an expert on edible algae as I think it tastes horrible! My little helper on the other hand takes a bite before giving it to the fish (or sometimes just eats the whole thing if he's hungry).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back