How much phyto/zoo plankton to feed?

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gal reef tank (that holds 15 gals of water after sand/rock) with a 1 gal HOB refugium with cheato and calupera and pods?, with fish and soft, LPS and a few SPS, (just trying) corals.
My question is how much phyto/zoo should I add? The instructions on the Seachem bottle says x amount per x gals. But it dilutes out to nothing. Are the amounts they recommend are based on keeping the tank looking clear or just figuring will do our own thing anyway?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the key is an appropriate concentration in the water column. initially to start, i’d recommend following the mfg. instructions for broadcast feeding (both feeding dose & number of feedings per week).

monitor the overall reaction of the corals and their apparent health/color. also monitor yr nitrates & phosphates. you then may need to increase the numbers of feedings per week, or increase the amount per feeding (for example, 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp).

myself, i have mostly SPS and sponges. i vary the concentration from feeding to feeding (but that’s just me) ... sometimes heavy, sometimes light.

HTH. :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 38 23.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back