How much rock touches your sand?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are creating your aquascape - how much rock do you want touching the sand? Do you push the rock down into the sand, or try to have it so it's just on the surface? I am thinking in terms of cleaning the tank and also remaining visually appealing. All my rocks are bulky, and I am going to buy a few more dry ones and flatten them to create some shelves and dimension. Is it a bad idea to put a huge rock flat in the sand and build off of it as a foundation?

My current aquascape I am not happy with. I keep looking at it. I want something with floating objects and branches. I might need to find new rock. Yikes

1651857158791.png

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are creating your aquascape - how much rock do you want touching the sand? Do you push the rock down into the sand, or try to have it so it's just on the surface? I am thinking in terms of cleaning the tank and also remaining visually appealing. All my rocks are bulky, and I am going to buy a few more dry ones and flatten them to create some shelves and dimension. Is it a bad idea to put a huge rock flat in the sand and build off of it as a foundation?

My current aquascape I am not happy with. I keep looking at it. I want something with floating objects and branches. I might need to find new rock. Yikes

1651857158791.png
If you do end up going for more or new rocks why not go with live rock? There are many benefits of live rock that'll help in the long run. Plus you can find live rock in all sorts of natural shapes and sizes.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1651857158791.png
Use a hammer and break up your peices and place them or glue them together.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mainly 2 rock structures, broke up with hammer and screwdriver and glued then mortared together.
The bases of the 2 Rick structures are on bottom of tank touching the glass and sand put in after so no rock slides/ Catostrophic events happen if Rocks fall etc but I tried to get as little as possible touching the sand as raises up out the sand

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost zero contact with sand… most of my ‘base’ rocks are drilled and have 3-4 acrylic rod legs, to keep them off the bottom. Not only preventing a build up of garbage under them, but also making them much more stable.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back