How much should a beginning hobbyist plan to spend on lighting?

How should a new reefer get started with lighting?

• Buy a cheap lower end fixture as they're getting their feet wet.

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Jump in with both feet! Get the best lighting you can!

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Buy a good used fixture (buy used to save money, but buy a good quality light).

Votes: 115 49.4%
  • Something else... (posted in the thread)

Votes: 9 3.9%

• Total voters

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for buy used and save your money while you're figuring out what you want / what your tank needs.
I've got two T8s on my tank (former 40B, current 65g). They were bought used. My husband added new ballasts to them and I added new bulbs. With my first saltwater tank (20 high) I used a T8 fixture that my dad had used on one of his saltwater tanks back in the late 80s. It still worked just fine and got the job done. I'll probably upgrade to T5s soon for the 65g, but for now, the T8s are working for my softies and LPS. I am not looking to have the latest and greatest whatever. If my fish and corals are happy, then I'm happy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So yesterday, I started this thread on how big a tank a new hobbyist should start with. You can join that discussion here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/g...he-best-sized-aquarium-for-a-beginner.598213/. Today, let's talk about lighting...

How do you approach lighting for someone just getting started? How much should a new reefer plan to spend? Should they jump in with both feet, start with some lower end lights and upgrade later? How do you recommend they do it?

Feel free to also talk about whether they should jump straight into LED's or should go with T5 or metal halide. :)

I would suggest get the best light 'they can afford' for whatever style of tank they plan to make (FO, Reef, etc). If you ask 100 SW fish keepers the best style of light (MH, T5, ETC) you may get 200 answers. Find a vendor they can trust and see what they recommend

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went middle of the road and got primes Hd . While happy , I wished I got Radions instead

Just as an FYI, you probably would have been happy with Hydra 52's as well. Possibly even Hydra 26's.

On the other hand... having no idea how many prime HD's you have, you would probably do quite well if you doubled the amount you have LOL

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 are the best for beginners. You already know new hobbyist want to spend 80% of their money on livestock. As you become experience it becomes spending 80% on equipment and 20% livestock.,

And once you become really experienced its 75% on livestock and 25% on equipment. Lots of frags out there that cost more than a brand new XR30 G4 Pro.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st saltwater tank about 30+ years ago had a lowes 4 ft 2 tube florescent shop light over it with 2 mail order tubes specifically for saltwater.
That 29G worked well like that for about 6-7 years. I replaced them many times but the cost was like $30 for the fixture and about $20 per tube.
With that said my new tank I am making is getting almost $2000 in lighting.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have realized how true the old cliche is...you save money by spending money.
I go to the high quality equipment from the start now.
My garage is full with equipment I got just to upgrade in months to follow.
You end up realizing that you actually save money if you go with good high quality equipment depending on what kind of reef you see yourself running for couple of yeara...my 2 cents.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is reef or fo. Thats two different answers.

Quality is always good for reef

Fo is any light that is pleasing to the eye.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is all about:

you get better results based on how much you are willing to spend on higher quality equipment. But! Spending a lot does not guarantee great results..... but it suuuuuuuure does help having high quality equipment, lol

What I'm saying is you cant order a 16oz NY strip steak off the drive thru $1 menu

Three components of reefing where you shoot yourself in the foot is when you cut budget corners on:

* Skimmer
* Lighting
* Water movement (pumps, powerheads)

Plain and simple....you have to lay out good money on those three components above or you'll forever be playing catchup

If buying NEW is too expensive, know what the high quality equipment is BY NAME and SCOUR the used equipment ads.... there are a lot of TECH JUNKIES that have an addiction to upgrading their reef to the latest products every year. Ride their coat tails on hand-me-downs!!!!!!

Last edited:

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out I .went too cheap, and got a Marineland LED light that was "good for Corals." It was fine for leathers, and softies, but that was about it.

When I upgraded my tank, I splurged on Kessils, and, while I do love the look, they are rather limited on adjusting color spectrum, which, in the long term I wish I had paid attention to.

I would suggest looking for quality used equipment, and I still recommend LEDs. T5s can do a good job, but bulb quality and age has a big effect on that, and a newbie may not see the signs to change bulbs.

As with everything, your mileage may very...

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you hope to grow.
I understand that you probably don’t know the answer to this yet. Even if you do have an answer, you will probably change your mind over the next few years. I would recommend you buying a used ATI t5 Sunpower fixture, non dimmable and run it 8 hours a day.

You should be able to get one for a reasonable price. I like that t5 gives great coverage and steady growth, with limited openings for you to mess it up by over tinkering. I’d hang it with the adjustable wire system that it comes with and over time you could slowly lower it closer to the top of the aquarium. I’d start at 12” over the water.
I did just that and now two and a half years in I’ve upgrade to t5 -led hybrid. Now what to do with the t5...hmmm ... new tank perhaps???

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap hybrid t5 fixture such as aquatic life would be a great start, you can add LED’s at your leisure to meet demands of your tank and it’s inhabitants.. Keeps initial cost down and gives you the flexibility to upgrade as needed by just by increasing number of LED modules.
Excellent advice and had they been available 3 years ago I would have gone this route and added the LEDs later. Who am I kidding? Could I have actually waited? Lol

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a new hobbyist listens to most of the advice about buying the best first they would never get started and we would lose a future reefer.

I started my SCA 150 with all low end components and it still cost me $3000 before stocking. My setup has been running fine for 6 months except for my ATO from autotopoff.com .

I run Jaebo return pumps and powerheads, 3 - 16" SB reeflights for lighting and everything seems happy but too early to tell. My frags have only been in the tank about a month. I have 100% light coverage front to back side to side. I see pics of high end units over tanks with shadows in corners and along the front where the lights don't overlap enough.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the best lighting you can right out of the gate. It'll save you money in the long run. Instead of buying cheap and then buying better you've saved the initial money of the "cheap" light

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a beginner, buy a used MH setup locally! People are letting them go dirt cheap and you can grow ANYTHING! Best bang for your buck. I bought a pendant and 2 ballasts a little while back for $80. Factor in a new Pheonix 14K bulb, and for $140 bucks I have an amazing light. And I have no heat issues with my fan on a temp controller.

Good T5s setups can be a little pricier, but also well worth it.

Either plug and play options would give a higher chance for success.
Exactly. Plus, the old halide fixtures were built to last and won't break easily.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is life’s approach as I have gotten older. Spend the money once. Cry now or cry later. I’m trying to get the best light my money could buy. I’m saving up money from each check to get it now.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have realized how true the old cliche is...you save money by spending money.
I go to the high quality equipment from the start now.
My garage is full with equipment I got just to upgrade in months to follow.
You end up realizing that you actually save money if you go with good high quality equipment depending on what kind of reef you see yourself running for couple of yeara...my 2 cents.
Yes well said you save money by sending money.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a second hand t5 fixture. The plug and play nature of t5 lighting makes it perfect for beginners. Plenty of cheaper second hand t5s on the market with the rise in popularity of leds.

Back