How much tap water conditioner should I use?

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a saltwater aquarium and have api tap water conditioner as well. How much conditioner should I put in five gallons of tap water to make it safe for my fish?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this condition
I recently purchased a saltwater aquarium and have api tap water conditioner as well. How much conditioner should I put in five gallons of tap water to make it safe for my fish?
not sure what this conditioner is for ( assuming it’s for dechlorination )but it should have instructions written on it and that being said if you are thinking that this is to replace a RO unit , it does not .

Upvote 0

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I dont recommend using tap water at all. Not a very good way to start a salt water tank. If you don't have RODI water i would head to your LFS to get some. Or better yet get a RODI unit for your tank. You will have MAJOR problems with tap water.

Upvote 0

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont recommend using tap water at all. Not a very good way to start a salt water tank. If you don't have RODI water i would head to your LFS to get some. Or better yet get a RODI unit for your tank. You will have MAJOR problems with tap water.

While I agree with this. Is it necessary to use ro if the tank is fish only? I’ve never done fish only or tap water myself. Just curious.

Upvote 0

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
While I agree with this. Is it necessary to use ro if the tank is fish only? I’ve never done fish only or tap water myself. Just curious.

Yes . You absolutely will. Heavy metals, chloramine , polluants , etc is in your tap water. Snails and inverts will die prematurely. Then you will deal with algae for a while.

I had a salt water tank back in the 90's . I used conditioned tap water. everything died within 2 months. Made me quit. I know much better now.

Upvote 0

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended dose is 1 mL per 20 gal so 0.25 mL per 5 gal but you can always dose more.

Upvote 0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question and concern , not trying to come off being funny just covering all basis , but along with not using RODI water are you planning to use salt ?

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back