How much time do you spend on your reef tank?

How long do you spend maintaining your reef tank every week?

• Total voters

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collectively? Probably 4 hours a week. We have 6 tanks at the moment tho. And I like to hand feed my corals, eel, Lionfish and puffers so that takes quite some time.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I switched to Triton method, maybe an hour a week. I send a sample for ICP once a month, dose elements they recommend weekly. Most my time is making RODI water for top off.

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hours per week split between 2 days
That's the benefit of a lowtech and no water change system
Just empty/clean the skimmer cup and water testing on Wednesdays and Saturdays

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two reef tanks, an African cichlid tank, and a newly setup fry tank, (My Yellow labs spawned). I feed the reef tanks every other day while my cichlids get fed 2-3x a day. Between all of them it takes me a Sunday afternoon to water change, replace filter floss and socks, replace media if needed, empty skimmer cup, scrape and wipe down glass, refill ATO reservoirs, then test and record parameters, dose anything needed to correct parameters. (Usually magnesium.) Takes me around an hour, sometimes more if I take my time or get distracted during the process. All while waiting for my laundry to get done! It’s like meditation for me, accept if I put it off there’s consequences..

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 794C55DB-0D5A-4D8F-8774-2FB66D7E92A0.jpeg F9CABADB-77A8-4472-A57B-73A8003F61BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a simple hack... When making your water, boil about 6 cups of RODI water (NOT mixed salt water!!) to bring up about 5g of water to temp. You should be just about right in about 15 mins.

If you have the space, what I do is keep several Brute cans of water on hand at all times. 1 can is cold fresh water, 1 is fresh at tank temp, and 1 is mixed at tank temp. The mixed can is also on wheels for easy movement from the water station to the tanks.

I use several digital readout aquarium heaters and an inexpensive digital kitchen thermometer to ensure all temps are consistent.

This may sound overkill but for me, I have found it necessary. My 55g does not have a sump so I don't have a good place to put a sensor for an ATO. Therefore I do my top-offs by hand every few days. This is usually a gallon or so of fresh water. It is MUCH easier to simply grab a couple pitchers of water that is already at temp and pour it in than to fiddle with getting cold water to the correct temp. It also makes mixing new SW easier as I don't have to wait for the water to warm up to use it if I should need more than what I keep on hand.
I do the same thing because I do not have a sump and for me it is just easier to have water in a 30 gallon brut can that is the same temp as my tank to top off and also to mix my salt the day before I do a water change

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a couple minutes a day now, maybe less. I normally turkey baste every day or every other. Then feed fish and corals. Since I added a uv a month ago, glass needs cleaned every 3-5 days vs 1-2. Clean the skimmer every couple weeks since it is now predominantly for oxygenation. Every other week, I change 5 gallons that are made in a brute for multiple months batches. Test alk every week or 2 since CaRx is on point and I have indicator corals to tell me if something is off.

Then, a bit hour or few fragging session every other month or so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back