How much time do you spend on your reef tank?

How long do you spend maintaining your reef tank every week?

• Total voters

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR all responses but how much time put into your tank is all relative to your own system.

If you had a 75G with, Rolling Fleece, Auto dosers or a Calcium Reactor, with a big ATO reservoir and you weren't a WC'er or you had an Auto WC system if you were you basically would spend a few hours on your tank a month.

If you have a 75G with Filter Floss the in the sump, heavily stocked and fed, a 5G only ATO, doing 20% Weekly Water changes you make yourself fresh daily on a 50GPD RODI system, you're manually dosing and feeding, and your lights aren't on timers. You could expect to spend at least an hour a day probably on the tank if not maybe an hour a day and 3-4 on Saturday.

So it's really again kind of relative to your system and what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to spend less time on your tank yourself, automate things, or upgrade things that last longer/require less often maintenance.

Some of the most time savings things can be.

1. Getting larger buckets for mixing like 20-40G instead of 5G and get a larger 10+G ATO.
1a. Run your RODI while you do other maintenance. Make sure to set a timer on your phone or with an egg timer, oven whatever so you always remember to go check on the RODI. Also Mix overnight while you sleep, then all you gotta do is during the day, get the RODI Water filled, at night pour in the salt, and in the morning store it.

1b. Start using PUMPS to do your W/C's and mixing, and storing. Using pumps to get water into smaller 5G Containers instead of siphoning, or being able to use a 20G Brute on wheels now because you can use a pump to get your water into your tank instead of lifting and pouring can save a lot of effort physically and time wise.

2. Automating dosing and or supplement addition through a Calcium Reactor, this is super low maintenance like once a month. or do it with a doser. This is also like once a month maintenance, probably can go longer, but I always like to check on them and make sure they're working. You don't have that worry with a Calcium reactor, you can just trust your tests, and adjust it as needed.

3. Rolling Fleece Filtration. This is like super lazy style reefing, super low maintenace like once a month also, but $$$ a lot more :(.

anyway etc. etc. Stuff like that, as long as it starts to automate time consuming tasks you find yourself doing, or just get more done in the same time. i.e. mixing 5G takes basically just as long as mixing 10G or 15G. When you work out 20G vs 5G you save lots of time in the end.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joke lol.... been chucking unheated no powerhead mix water in there for years, then I read all these posts about mixing and just go stand in the corner like an admonished child lol.

LOL, don't feel bad. I make a 5g bucket every 5 weeks, cover it and let it get ripe in my garage (no power heads, no heater). Just scoop and dump in my small tank the 5%/2x/wk that I need (which also provides some aeration in the bucket). Been doing it this 'easy-breezy' way for 30+ years in multiple sizes of reef aquaria :)

Heating and aerating makes sense for larger WCs where a temperature drop could be more extreme (especially if more sensitive fish species are present).

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR all responses but how much time put into your tank is all relative to your own system.

If you had a 75G with, Rolling Fleece, Auto dosers or a Calcium Reactor, with a big ATO reservoir and you weren't a WC'er or you had an Auto WC system if you were you basically would spend a few hours on your tank a month.

If you have a 75G with Filter Floss the in the sump, heavily stocked and fed, a 5G only ATO, doing 20% Weekly Water changes you make yourself fresh daily on a 50GPD RODI system, you're manually dosing and feeding, and your lights aren't on timers. You could expect to spend at least an hour a day probably on the tank if not maybe an hour a day and 3-4 on Saturday.

So it's really again kind of relative to your system and what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to spend less time on your tank yourself, automate things, or upgrade things that last longer/require less often maintenance.

Some of the most time savings things can be.

1. Getting larger buckets for mixing like 20-40G instead of 5G and get a larger 10+G ATO.
1a. Run your RODI while you do other maintenance. Make sure to set a timer on your phone or with an egg timer, oven whatever so you always remember to go check on the RODI. Also Mix overnight while you sleep, then all you gotta do is during the day, get the RODI Water filled, at night pour in the salt, and in the morning store it.

1b. Start using PUMPS to do your W/C's and mixing, and storing. Using pumps to get water into smaller 5G Containers instead of siphoning, or being able to use a 20G Brute on wheels now because you can use a pump to get your water into your tank instead of lifting and pouring can save a lot of effort physically and time wise.

2. Automating dosing and or supplement addition through a Calcium Reactor, this is super low maintenance like once a month. or do it with a doser. This is also like once a month maintenance, probably can go longer, but I always like to check on them and make sure they're working. You don't have that worry with a Calcium reactor, you can just trust your tests, and adjust it as needed.

3. Rolling Fleece Filtration. This is like super lazy style reefing, super low maintenace like once a month also, but $$$ a lot more :(.

anyway etc. etc. Stuff like that, as long as it starts to automate time consuming tasks you find yourself doing, or just get more done in the same time. i.e. mixing 5G takes basically just as long as mixing 10G or 15G. When you work out 20G vs 5G you save lots of time in the end.

Very well said.

My tanks are not automated at all except the lights.

The 55 with the most basic low-end equipment is by far the most stable system. 20% water change and filter clean every 2 weeks.

The 32 gets a 10% water change and rinse of mechanical filters every week. and the 180 gets well, nothing yet.. skimmer cup dump every week and rinse of filter pads is all it needs.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said.

My tanks are not automated at all except the lights.

The 55 with the most basic low-end equipment is by far the most stable system. 20% water change and filter clean every 2 weeks.

The 32 gets a 10% water change and rinse of mechanical filters every week. and the 180 gets well, nothing yet.. skimmer cup dump every week and rinse of filter pads is all it needs.
I'd love to see you turn one of these 3 into the ultra low maintenance, no equipment , no sump, nothing but flow systems. I wish I had 3 tanks to experiment, the wife ....well....I wouldn't have one anymore, let alone a single tank ....it'd be over lol....

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see you turn one of these 3 into the ultra low maintenance, no equipment , no sump, nothing but flow systems. I wish I had 3 tanks to experiment, the wife ....well....I wouldn't have one anymore, let alone a single tank ....it'd be over lol....

I have thought about it... I would love to have a real world comparison between the range of setups.

The only one that I could realistically do it with is the 180. Unfortunately this one is a fish only tank dedicated to more aggressive non-reef safe fish.

Maybe some day I will turn my art studio into a tank room dedicated to this experiment. 3 tanks, all the same size, set up exactly the same, exactly the same stocking, only difference is equipment... Would be fun to paint in a room full of fish tanks... lol

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about it... I would love to have a real world comparison between the range of setups.

The only one that I could realistically do it with is the 180. Unfortunately this one is a fish only tank dedicated to more aggressive non-reef safe fish.

Maybe some day I will turn my art studio into a tank room dedicated to this experiment. 3 tanks, all the same size, set up exactly the same, exactly the same stocking, only difference is equipment... Would be fun to paint in a room full of fish tanks... lol
You can't say painting, without showing a glimpse of your artwork. Just saying.... love to see it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow you often Tamberav, always some great advice.... so curious the 10% you do all at once every 3 months or gradually in between?

All at once.. I just do it to clean up the debris in the sump or sand or wherever. A little house cleaning now and again.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth... BRS did a video of all the tanks in their offices I watched a while back.. one gal had 2 tanks in her cubicle.. one was full auto, the other simple water changes. When asked, Ryan could not pick the automated tank...

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at at about 5-10 minutes a day and an hour or so once a week. I have very little automated on my current tank, but it only takes a few minutes a day to feed, dose, and top-off (only need to do this once or twice a week, usually mid week between water changes). But it varies, if I need to put my hands in the tank, it’ll be at least 15 minutes (there little things I tend to put off until I something comes up where I have to put my hands in). So I voted 1-2 hours per week.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on this realization! It's pretty sweet isnt it! Took a long time , but I guess we both there! How many years? 25 here, but it was only the last 5-10 or so that I really noticed less work involved. Definitely the last 5 years....
My current tank is only going on 2 years, but I've been in and out of the hobby for the last 20 or so years (probably only having tanks for about 12 of those years). This is the first tank where I've automated anything, and on this tank I think I've almost automated everything that I can (water changes, Ato including refilling the reservoir, dosing, feeding, and testing the water).

I've found for me the beast way to keep the hobby enjoyable is to automate any task that I don't enjoy doing.. which is almost all of them. Also, automation often keeps water parameters more stable which is always a good thing.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should spend an hour each week....but I don't.

WC right now is every other week...or month. Testing weekly takes a half hour.

RO/DI is setup in the basement, turn it on and set the note on the kitchen counter so I don't forget to shut it off. I have a mixing container there as well so I usually have some SW mixed at all times. ATO and kalk doser there so I can check everything at once.

5 gallon WC, cleaning skimmer, etc takes an hour maybe for me.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a new “properly” setup this January. A 60 cube with sump and skimmer. Ive spent usually 5-10min a day cleaning the glass and feeding (frozen food) 4 small fish.

I don’t need to do weekly wc any more. I have 2-part doser and run carbon. My last monthly wc the old water was very clear (bucket test). The next one will be at 6 weeks mark. I mix 10g of salt water with a power head the night before. The actual wc takes about 15min, old out new in.

IMO, if it’s a chore, it’s not a hobby anymore.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I used to heat water...heck, think the heater is even still in the tank. I was going to say something about not doing it anymore, but hate to be one of those "don't heat your saltwater" nags. :) Since I'm not the only one....I'll pile on.

I haven't heated since I watched that BRS series on salt mixing. Maybe if I was doing a 50% or more but so far, haven't had to do anything that big. Plus if it's 50% WC that's probably an emergency and room temp water is going to be better than whatever I screwed up to warrant a big water change.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I used to heat water...heck, think the heater is even still in the tank. I was going to say something about not doing it anymore, but hate to be one of those "don't heat your saltwater" nags. :) Since I'm not the only one....I'll pile on.

I haven't heated since I watched that BRS series on salt mixing. Maybe if I was doing a 50% or more but so far, haven't had to do anything that big. Plus if it's 50% WC that's probably an emergency and room temp water is going to be better than whatever I screwed up to warrant a big water change.
You're definitely not alone. I only change about 2% per day and I never heat it. Before my AWC I would change about 20% every other week and I would heat it.

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a simple hack... When making your water, boil about 6 cups of RODI water (NOT mixed salt water!!) to bring up about 5g of water to temp. You should be just about right in about 15 mins.

If you have the space, what I do is keep several Brute cans of water on hand at all times. 1 can is cold fresh water, 1 is fresh at tank temp, and 1 is mixed at tank temp. The mixed can is also on wheels for easy movement from the water station to the tanks.

I use several digital readout aquarium heaters and an inexpensive digital kitchen thermometer to ensure all temps are consistent.

This may sound overkill but for me, I have found it necessary. My 55g does not have a sump so I don't have a good place to put a sensor for an ATO. Therefore I do my top-offs by hand every few days. This is usually a gallon or so of fresh water. It is MUCH easier to simply grab a couple pitchers of water that is already at temp and pour it in than to fiddle with getting cold water to the correct temp. It also makes mixing new SW easier as I don't have to wait for the water to warm up to use it if I should need more than what I keep on hand.
That's a good tip, might have to try that out...

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the detailed replies! Learned some good stuff that will hopefully save me a little time or rather better manage it. Now time for another water change lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back