How much to upgrade tank sizes? $$

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long reef, that's a year old. I also have a JBJ24 nanocube I set up about 6 months ago. I now realise running two tanks is a whole lot more work, and more expensive, then one big tank, even though they're both nano. At my job I have been seeing a lot of really beautiful, cool fish, and would love to have some bigger fish other then the generic firefish, clowns, and gobies. (yes I know there's other options but there's only so much). My 20 long is also getting very crowded with corals, and I'm afraid that most don't have the room to grow out into full colonies like I want them too. Neither tank is sumped.

How hard/expensive would it be to upgrade to something bigger and combine the tanks? I would run a fuge, and I'd need a skimmer. Current equipment for the 20 is:

Arctic Revive T247
Aquaclear 110 (using as a fuge)
Jebao RW4
Jebao SW2
Cobalt neotherm 100watt heater
4 head Jebao doser
Micro ATO
Fuge lights
Rock, Corals, sand, ect.
20 long

In the JBJ:
Marsaqua 165 watt
Finnex titanium heater with external controller
Maxijet 1200
Random Flow Generator
Fuge lights
Rock, sand, a few corals
JBJ ATO
JBJ24g

I figure if I combined the rock, I'd have plenty, and I have some extra too. Sand would be enough too as I have an extra 20 lbs. Lights, I'd probably buy another Arctic Revive, and just do dual Arctic revives.

For the tank size, I was thinking 40 breeder, or some type of rimless aquarium. How much more owuld a 75 cost so I could have a tang or two? I would want it drilled. How much can you find used aquariums of good dimensions for, and who are good companies? What are your favorite tank sizes and dimensions? No cubes. Don't have the money for Red sea. Sump would probably be the old 20 long, with hard plumbing. I'd install baffles myself. I'd have a fuge, which I would probabl use my MarsAqua for. I'd need a skimmer too, I don't know how much they run. Id buy most everyting from my LFS as I get really good deals there. I'd probably need a bigger return pump, and i'd need to build a bigger stand.

Maintnence would likely be a monthly water change, running a really big fuge and heavy skimming.

Also, what all more fish could I get? Would I be able to get a tang? I know I'd want a wrasse or two.

So everything I'd need (I think)
new tank
Return pump
Arctic Revive
I could probably combind my two heaters, but may need another one.
Anything I'm missing? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 75 gallon tank you would be limiting the choices of tangs that would live comfortably. Kole and Tomini tangs would be ok as they don't grow as large and the bio-load they impose upon a tank of that size would be manageable, and it would provide enough room for them to mature to their full natural size. Most of the other tangs require a much larger tank to live well and thrive. Recommend you spend some time looking through the treads on tank sizes and tangs. @4FordFamily has written quite a bit on this subject and has way more experience than I dealing with the successes and failures of keeping tangs healthy. Highly recommend his suggestions, especially his advice on some tangs that just flat out probably do not belong in an aquarium at all due to poor health and survival rates. Below is a link to one of his outstanding writings on tangs. Hope this helps a bit. Merry Christmas :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 75 I agree that Tomini, kole, perhaps a yellow would be good options. I would not do more than one or two dependent upon size and selection.

Other smaller zebrasoma or bristleooth tangs may work. If you try two small species, add concurrently. Avoid the acanthurus and naso genus’ entirely. I can’t speak to cost but buying used might help. I don’t recommend used glass though that’s burned me with floods and house fires enough.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 75 gallon tank you would be limiting the choices of tangs that would live comfortably. Kole and Tomini tangs would be ok as they don't grow as large and the bio-load they impose upon a tank of that size would be manageable, and it would provide enough room for them to mature to their full natural size. Most of the other tangs require a much larger tank to live well and thrive. Recommend you spend some time looking through the treads on tank sizes and tangs. @4FordFamily has written quite a bit on this subject and has way more experience than I dealing with the successes and failures of keeping tangs healthy. Highly recommend his suggestions, especially his advice on some tangs that just flat out probably do not belong in an aquarium at all due to poor health and survival rates. Below is a link to one of his outstanding writings on tangs. Hope this helps a bit. Merry Christmas :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/
In a 75 I agree that Tomini, kole, perhaps a yellow would be good options. I would not do more than one or two dependent upon size and selection.

Other smaller zebrasoma or bristleooth tangs may work. If you try two small species, add concurrently. Avoid the acanthurus and naso genus’ entirely. I can’t speak to cost but buying used might help. I don’t recommend used glass though that’s burned me with floods and house fires enough.

So no tangs in a 40? If I decide not to get a standard (e.g. 55, 75, ect), and end up with something like a rimless, what is the minimum length for a tang? What are other fish that could go in a 40, or non standard? I don't really want to go all the way up to a 75, that's a lot bigger then a 40 or 50. Thanks to both of you!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no tangs in a 40? If I decide not to get a standard (e.g. 55, 75, ect), and end up with something like a rimless, what is the minimum length for a tang? What are other fish that could go in a 40, or non standard? I don't really want to go all the way up to a 75, that's a lot bigger then a 40 or 50. Thanks to both of you!
No tangs in a 40, correct. 55G might be suitable for a Tomini.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep checking out the for sale forum and local forums to you. People are constantly exiting/upgrading and you can get a nice 75g+ cheap or even free. Check out innovative marine for some nice rimless, although the larger sizes are mostly cubish. They have a new line of 4’ tanks but unlikely to find one used

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of advice, from a freshwater guys perspective. After fooling around with several aquariums and setups in the 20 to 30 gallon range and one 55 gallon setup, if you go with a good 75 gallon setup, you will be happy you did.

I spied a lightly used 75 gallon setup on craigslist and went for it. Wow, so much easier to take care of. The water parameters change much slower so problems caught much earlier. Water changes on one large tank are easier than on several smaller ones. And this is just freshwater tropical, so I would think this applies even better to saltwater setups.

The other thing is the fish. They are much happier and heathier in the larger setup. I have seen things that dont happen as easily in small setups. Corydoras schooling and breeding, bristlenose plecos breeding and having young survive in a tank with tetras and angels swimmung around.

Go for a 75, its 48 long and you have the 18 inch width to make aquascaping more interesting. Its a nicely dimensioned tank.
Fish will be happier, mainenance easier and more options for fish.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add width and not length you are not increasing swimming distance or escape distance. I have a 5' square tank and note that fish can escape, but they are still not far enough away to not be seen. If I wanted bigger fish that need swimming room I would have gone 10' and not 5' and reduced the width.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 4 feet is the minimum width for tangs and at that width there are few suitable choices.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 4 feet is the minimum width for tangs and at that width there are few suitable choices.

I think I'm probably going to look into looking at the 75 gallon size. What tangs/wrasses could I keep in a 75? What are some of your favorites? A powder blue, blue tang, and yellows all caught my eye, but I haven't really looked into them much.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you want tangs you should buy the largest tank you can afford. Also do not skimp on the equipment. Buy quality over other options. You want a bullet proof system. Better to plan and save than get in a hurry. This is a long term commitment not an impulse buy. These fish demand proper care and feeding for success. I don't want to start an argument but I would prefer actual live rock and a proper U.V. setup for this type of tank. The live rock provides some natural food source and filtration for these fish. They graze all day in nature so design the system for their maximum benefit. U.V. of proper size reduces the water born parasites that are so prevalent in these fish. Watch out for flukes as well and treat accordingly.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you want tangs you should buy the largest tank you can afford. Also do not skimp on the equipment. Buy quality over other options. You want a bullet proof system. Better to plan and save than get in a hurry. This is a long term commitment not an impulse buy. These fish demand proper care and feeding for success. I don't want to start an argument but I would prefer actual live rock and a proper U.V. setup for this type of tank. The live rock provides some natural food source and filtration for these fish. They graze all day in nature so design the system for their maximum benefit. U.V. of proper size reduces the water born parasites that are so prevalent in these fish. Watch out for flukes as well and treat accordingly.

75 would be the biggest. I'd get quality equipment. Really though, only equipment I'd need would be the tank, sump, skimmer, and return pump. I've got flow, lighting, and other covered. I would be combining two nano reefs, so plenty of very alive rock. Btw, this will be a reef system. Full reef. So no coral eaters lol.

I'm not going to do UV. Unless I get a monster sized UV its going to do no good. I'm planning on feeding good, natural foods llike Paul B. and I would do a prophylactic QT of copper 14 days, transfer to clean QT, then 10 days of General Cure. So no diseases in my system.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I ended up with a 75 :D . Got it cleaned and sitting in the garage while the sump (bashsea biofuge 30x10x14) arrives.

I'll start a new thread on stocking suggestions, but since there was already tang discussion on here, I thought it might be easier to get some thoughts here.

@4FordFamily you suggested Tomini, kole, yellow, zebrasoma, or bristletooth. Any thoughts on a powder blue, or purple tang? I do also like the looks of the yellow and kole. Which tang is your favorite? Is there any chance of two? Compatibility with wrasses?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I ended up with a 75 :D . Got it cleaned and sitting in the garage while the sump (bashsea biofuge 30x10x14) arrives.

I'll start a new thread on stocking suggestions, but since there was already tang discussion on here, I thought it might be easier to get some thoughts here.

@4FordFamily you suggested Tomini, kole, yellow, zebrasoma, or bristletooth. Any thoughts on a powder blue, or purple tang? I do also like the looks of the yellow and kole. Which tang is your favorite? Is there any chance of two? Compatibility with wrasses?
A 75 gallon tank is not appropriate for a powder blue. They need a 6 foot tank with a 180 gallon minimum as they're much more active and easy to stress.

A Kole and Yellow may be housed together depending on their temperaments, and if they're both added simultaneously. Kole and yellow CAN be very nasty. Kole in particular are unruly tangs, especially if kept singly. I'd purchase a slightly larger yellow and a smaller Kole. Mixing tangs, particularly in 4 foot tanks is always a risk, but I think this is your best chance if you wish to keep both.

Purple tangs are not a terrible choice but more aggressive and similar in color to a Kole, I'd mix it up if it was me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back