How much water change is too much?

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been battling high nitrate for awhile. I believe I'm around 80PPM. I've been doing water changes every week. This does not seem to do anything to the nitrate. I have a 130G tank and do about 25G water change. That about 20%.

There appears to be nothing dead in the tank. And I feed only once a day when I'm off work. Food gone usually in seconds. Just a pinch of flakes.

I have torches that are thriving and zoa that open up but have not propagated. Lots of Acros that show no sign of growth or deterioration.

How much water change would be too much? I would like to try to stabilize the nitrate to something more realistic.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been battling high nitrate for awhile. I believe I'm around 80PPM. I've been doing water changes every week. This does not seem to do anything to the nitrate. I have a 130G tank and do about 25G water change. That about 20%.

There appears to be nothing dead in the tank. And I feed only once a day when I'm off work. Food gone usually in seconds. Just a pinch of flakes.

I have torches that are thriving and zoa that open up but have not propagated. Lots of Acros that show no sign of growth or deterioration.

How much water change would be too much? I would like to try to stabilize the nitrate to something more realistic.
Red Sea NoPox works wonders. Just dose as recommended on instructions. Its helps to regulate Nitrate and phosphate.

OP
OP
Saisori

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea NoPox works wonders. Just dose as recommended on instructions. Its helps to regulate Nitrate and phosphate.

I've tried in the past, but the issue is the water become very cloudy. That the only thing I dont like about it.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How old is your tank? Approx how much LR? Do you have a sump, and when was the last time you siphoned it out?

If the tank is established I've read that you can do upwards of 90% water changed with no ill effect as long as the water temp and parameters are the same

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to figure out what is causing this issue too as it will come right back.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of beneficial bacteria in the substrate so i never let my siphon sit in the sand or crushed coral after im done getting all the waste out of the bed just so I don't do anymore damage than I have to do. I have consistently done water changes of 80% on one of my tanks with no ill effects. As people have said in theory you could do 100 percent you just need to keep the substrate, rocks, fish, and corals wet.

OP
OP
Saisori

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How old is your tank? Approx how much LR? Do you have a sump, and when was the last time you siphoned it out?

If the tank is established I've read that you can do upwards of 90% water changed with no ill effect as long as the water temp and parameters are the same

Tank is 2 year old. I siphon the substrate everytime I do water changes.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer on what size tank? What kind of fish load?

OP
OP
Saisori

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate went from 37 to 5 in 2 weeks. Here's what I did.

- Removed most of my sands. Went semi bare bottom.
- Added 1 Brightwell xport
- Cleaned my sump and removed all detritus
- Started Nopox, half dose first week

Not sure if I can remove the sand. What I have in there is about 1/2 inch.
I have a marine pure block in the sump.
I've actually start dosing nopox as a lot have recommend.

OP
OP
Saisori

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some bio media and brightwell micro. I'll see it this helps. I might put some more live rock back into the sump.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to reduce nitrate might just be macroalgae in your sump. BRS has some good videos on the subject.

TeresaRN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with KTipp, no pox works wonders. One time I thought the tank was failing. I checked it out and my bubble magnus tubing that doses the nopox was disconnected. Your experience of water being cloudy maybe the stuff was working? Did you dose it slowly?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back