How much water change is too much?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever try a clam or two. They love to consume nitrate. I like derasa however it’s spelled. Bullet proof clams.

Keith Burns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you said you have a sump. Is it a refugium? I recommend chaeto. A $5 fist-sized clump from a LFS should do the trick. I used to have a 120 gallon with 40-gallon sump and I was throwing out at least a fist-sized clump every week it grew so quick. I would do a 20% water change about every six weeks, not because of nitrate or phosphate as they were always low, just to replace trace elements.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is actually:
1 part 5% vinegar (acetate)
1/2 part 80proof vodka (ethanol)
1 part RODI water

Many ppl are DIYing their own NoPox

Sorry Red Sea
Oh really, i'm game. has anyone done a DIY successfully. If so, what vodka did you use? Anyone have measurements of each parts needed to make say 16 or 32oz bottle?

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes used it for about a year now use macro algae I just adjusted my formula for my needs
250ml vodka
50ml vinegar
1 part RODI water
1 tbs of sugar

The vodka I use is the cheapest I can buy.

zaba859

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is actually:
1 part 5% vinegar (acetate)
1/2 part 80proof vodka (ethanol)
1 part RODI water

Many ppl are DIYing their own NoPox

Sorry Red Sea
I would love to believe but why nopox makes such bacteria blooms if its just vinegar and vodka? I am using vinegar to lover ph without having bacterial outbreak. I stopped using nopox as it makes too big blooms in my tank no matter how much i dose too much too small or right enough. Went for rowaphos and nitratex in reactor. Does same thing without bacteria bloom. Now i am having problem with diatoms instead. Dont know what is better as both are ugly looking. Nopox clogs my socks, diatoms dont.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to believe but why nopox makes such bacteria blooms if its just vinegar and vodka? I am using vinegar to lover ph without having bacterial outbreak. I stopped using nopox as it makes too big blooms in my tank no matter how much i dose too much too small or right enough. Went for rowaphos and nitratex in reactor. Does same thing without bacteria bloom. Now i am having problem with diatoms instead. Dont know what is better as both are ugly looking. Nopox clogs my socks, diatoms dont.
Your using RODI water ?

Nicolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been battling high nitrate for awhile. I believe I'm around 80PPM. I've been doing water changes every week. This does not seem to do anything to the nitrate. I have a 130G tank and do about 25G water change. That about 20%.

There appears to be nothing dead in the tank. And I feed only once a day when I'm off work. Food gone usually in seconds. Just a pinch of flakes.

I have torches that are thriving and zoa that open up but have not propagated. Lots of Acros that show no sign of growth or deterioration.

How much water change would be too much? I would like to try to stabilize the nitrate to something more realistic.
Hi Saisori,I had hi nitrate in my tank and dosed all sorts of products to get it down and at the end I googled it and started dosing quarter of a tea spoon for every 25 gallons of tank water every other day and it got down to 20 when I could not get it below 80,the white sugar worked but put it in your sump in the inlet

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates ran over 50 for a long time. Water changes did nothing to reduce them. I added a small bio pellet reactor and upgraded the lights on my chaeto. Trates have below 10 for several months now. Not sure if it is the bio pellets or cheato or both. I have to harvest some of the chaeto every 2 weeks now so I have a hunch that is the biggest factor.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes used it for about a year now use macro algae I just adjusted my formula for my needs
250ml vodka
50ml vinegar
1 part RODI water
1 tbs of sugar

The vodka I use is the cheapest I can buy.
Thanks. I dont understand the 1 part RODI...so how much water is 1 part.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit my tank with 5 gallon water changes every week. There are about 60 gallons in my whole system. I dose esv 2 parts and manually add mag. Thats it.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I can remove the sand. What I have in there is about 1/2 inch.
I have a marine pure block in the sump.
I've actually start dosing nopox as a lot have recommend.
be sure to skim on the wetter side while using NoPox. This should help combat the bacterial bloom/cloudy water you've seen in the past.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Be careful with carbon dosing as you can bottom out your nutrients . Recommend to test your nitrate and phosphate regularly.

I was careful but still bottomed out. I say go a quarter of the recommended dose 1st.

Back