How much weight can my floor take?

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've filled it up yesterday with tab water. Then we figured out that the floor is bouncy. Like really bouncy. It's just that few sqft between the staircase and the load bearing wall in front of the aquarium.

One firm step and the aquarium formed ripples on top. A lot of them lasting for as long as half a minute. It will also shake the floor when wobbling on the aquarium a bit. So when cleaning the glass for example, the water would start to splash and that would make the floor swing in resonance.

I measured from the rim to the floor and from the rim to the ceiling, but the floor didn't give at all. The leveling mat gave about 2mm.

We removed the water and it's still quite bouncy. There was a crack in the sheet rock under the middle floor joist's cross member. We feel like it has godden wider, but I forgot to measure it before and after.

Honestly, to see about 1500lbs shake like that is just terrifying. I nearly pooped my pants, that's for sure. I don't think we could ever sleep with that amount of bounce. My office is upstairs, so I walk past there every day, multiple times a day. Quite swiftly. Also once our son can walk, I don't want to be one of those parents that tell him "always be careful when walking past the aquarium because it shakes too much".

Gonna figure out how to go from here. It's really a bummer, but I don't think we could sleep at night like this.
If you really want it there ask a structural engineer on some options to increase support, provides solutions and peace of mind

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a tank twice that size there and never think twice about it.

BTW - IRC says something like 40 psf for an entire room, minimum. They do not mention or cover smaller areas and the like. These are also minimums. Put both of your feet together and stand on the floor - this is about one square foot, or less. A 175lb human would collapse in a true 40 psf floor and they don't even budge. I don't know if IRC is the standard in the EU, but it does start with International. :) 300 gallons is my breaking point on floor joists that are running perpendicular with the tank - so like a 240g and 60g sump without even thinking twice about it.
Despite the name, the IRC is not actually an international code

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that finished space below the tank? The wobble is the killer here. You need to get support under it. Either an extra post or new structural floor joists. I had same dilemma with a 90 gallon tank only 2/3 full for a turtle.

OP
OP
Mangimi

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was all finished up space under there. We sold the large tank already and the small one which was standing there before is in my office now.

At the moment, we just don't have the time and nerve for construction in our home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back