Second Floor weight

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s that question again. How much weight can my floor take?

I want to put a tank on this wall. It is definitely a load bearing wall. Tank dimensions will be 6ft x 30in x 30in. Maybe 8 ft.
That is the garage on the other side of the exterior wall so I will be putting the sump In the fish room off of the garage so Sam and equipment we would not be a factor except for equipment that goes directly on the display
I do not know which way the floor joists run.

IMG_4231.jpeg IMG_4232.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a structural engineer, but just from reading past posts you'd need to provide a lot more information. And you probably want to consult a local structural engineer even if you do get an answer here.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a structural engineer, but just from reading past posts you'd need to provide a lot more information. And you probably want to consult a local structural engineer even if you do get an answer here.
I don’t get it. What do past posts have to do with this? This would be a whole different build.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get it. What do past posts have to do with this? This would be a whole different build.
Those asking for assistance provided a lot more information was the point. For example, you don't even know which way the floor joists run or what size of tank we're talking about. There's a big difference between 6ft and 8ft.

My advice is consult a local structural engineer.

TheWoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another ppst i made a moment ago:

Likewise not an engineer but do have one coming on Monday to look at my second floor apartment to provide me with a psf load on certain places around the unit.

There are two things i have learnt so far about "dead load" capacity:

1. The height of the tank essentially determines the pounds per square foot of the tank since the Length and Width changes expand the footprint of the load spread. There are other elements such as materials of the stand, glass thickness e.t.c but the height of the tank with water alters the PSF since it increases the weight over the same surface area. The shallower the tank the safer the load.
2. Placing the tank against/near load bearing walls is the safest course of action if you cant get an engineer out, walls framing your house with gutter edge are 99.9% likely load bearing since they are holding the roof up.

Hope it helps.

Edit: What about getting a Structural Engineer to at least give a factetime consult, may be able to give you better information and wont cost as much as getting one out to your house. You could do measurements for him over the phone and he could give you "best" advice

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your joists are running perpendicular to the ridgeline of your roof. From your description, it sounds like your tank would be sitting parallel with the joists. I personally wouldn't even try it, that's a big tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back