How much would you pay

• Total voters

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to do some research as part of my R&D for my project.

How much would you pay for an LED fixture that the LED's are placed in custom spots based on your requests?

It would be a professionaly done fixture that looks similar to a coralife aqualife pro in design but with LED's that work for corals and clams.

Size would be 36" x 15" and would have optional hardware to hang from the ceiling at extra cost.

You would choose the LED pattern, colors, and the optics to go along with it. 40-50 cree 3 watt LED's.

Also, if it would be over 700, please post and leave a response as to how much.

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably something close to 40-50 LED's 3 watt crees. Your choice of color combination

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't go over $550-600 as being able to choose which color LED's are where isn't that important to me as I prefer a more uniform look.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not pay more than $300, just cant afford more will wait till they come down in price.

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...depends on the size after all... I would pay about the same dollar per photon as a nice metal halide or T5 setup. So I cant say $200 or $500, because it depends on the size of the tank.

For a LED system that puts out about the same ligyt as a 250 watt halide, I would say between 25 and 30 cree xp-g R5 or better LED's are needed, and the cost for the light unit itself should be about $350. This is a basic light... no dimmer or daylight controls... just LED's, cooling solution, driver&power supply, optics, in a shell. I think this is a realistic number because it is what I would be able to DIY it myself for. External liquid cooling, dimmer/shimmer controls, wifi interface, etc... those are seperate. I also have not included the cost for blue led's, T5-actinics, etc... as I believe they are a seperate cost all together and due to their slightly different characteristics should be kept in seperate units/fixtures from the 'daylight' source.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back