OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been a little bit since my last update, so let’s get down to it.

The first big update is that upon coming back from my little break and even through today, I haven’t really seen a regrowth of the stringy, nuisance algae. The last time I scrubbed the rock off in the sink seems to have done some good. That being said, I am seeing a regrowth of the ulva algae on the rocks. This was something I noticed earlier on and now the blades are getting decently long. I am considering pulling out the rocks and doing a hydrogen peroxide scrub and rinse, as I have heard that has excellent results. My risk is very low since I have no corals on the rock. Again, sure wish I had a tang to toss in there, they would love it.

IMG_2652.jpg

https://youtu.be/tb8ltWK6rr8

The second big update is that I hauled a lovely pulsing-xenia rock half way across the country and it seems pretty happy in my tank! I endured plenty of weird stares and questions during the travel through the airports, but it was pretty straightforward to get the coral on the plane. It also has a couple branches of Kenya tree that dropped onto the rock in my parent’s tank. I grabbed this rock for two real purposes: first and foremost, I need some coral and xenia are pretty hardy, so this is a great way to start. More importantly though, I am hoping to help seed my tank with a mature rock and encourage the rock I have to move along in its development. The algae has been killing me, so I am hoping this biodiversity addition can help out. I also read that the David Saxby schedule has more reds and yellows then some and may be contributing to algae growth, so I switched to a BRS adapted AB+ spectrum and have stuck with that.

IMG_2649.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg

The GSP frag I added slowly got covered in algae and disintegrated into little bits, so that was a sad loss; however, the little zoa frag is still hanging on. Only three heads still, so no growth, but we’ll see how that goes. Also, our little hermit got tired of his shell and murdered an astrea snail for his. The blood shrimp jumped in and helped him clean it out. Poor guy. Here is the whole crew as we stand today!

IMG_2743.jpg

My dad tried to convince me to abandon the dry rock I started with and start over with reef rock, and while it is tempting, I am getting pretty short on time before I need to move, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense to try and start this whole process over. It also slightly defeats the purpose of this build. The whole point was to start with dry reef saver rock and follow the BRS/WWC cycle and see what my results were. My thoughts on the matter so far, though, are that in such a small tank I have very few options to try and control any algae issues outside of manually scrubbing the rocks. On a bigger tank where you can add in a couple different tangs, they would presumably keep large outbreaks of algae at bay and give the rock time to establish itself. If I were to start over, I probably wouldn’t use the reef saver rock purely because it can stack the algae-odds against you. Live rock is just too expensive to consider, plus it carries the risk of pests, so I would definitely lean towards one of the manufactured rocks that offers coatings to help the rock along its road to maturity. I’ll definitely try that for the next experiment.

For now, my new goal is to see if I can get the xenia growing and propagate onto some of the smaller rocks in the tank and see if I can find some gsp that will grow in my tank. I have about a year until I move, so instead of trying to get a ton of little frags to grow, I’m going to try and find a couple more softies that grow extremely fast and add some nice color and movement to the tank. So, if you are reading this, and you have a big gsp rock you’d like to ditch, or a mat of gsp you will be trimming and tossing out, send it my way instead. I’ll even pay for shipping! :)

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like quite a bit has happened since the last update and the tank is actually starting to look like a real reef tank! But before any updates on the tank’s status, I just wanted to post some pictures regarding my experience with nuisance algae and hydrogen peroxide.

I had read in multiple different posts that one possible solution to clear nuisance algae was to spray the problem areas with hydrogen peroxide. The obvious benefit to this treatment was that the byproducts of hydrogen peroxide are water and air, totally inert and reef safe (chemistry warning to avoid feeling triggered):

2H2O2 -> H2O + O2​

In case you haven’t discovered yet in your reef career, water and oxygen are considered beneficial in your tank. Most threads detail this approach for problem “patches” of algae, describing either filling a bulb syringe with hydrogen peroxide and target-spraying the patch under water, or even better yet, draining the tank below the level of the problem algae and spraying the algae while exposed. This is all good and fun if you have a spot or two, but when your rocks look like so, it requires a more thorough approach.

IMG_2801.jpg

The dreaded macro algae outbreak, in my case sea lettuce, or Ulva. This was July 21st.

IMG_2802.jpg

This is not the first time my rocks have been in this state either. If you have read through my sad story, you’ll recall I once bleached my rocks and completely started over due to what I suspected was dinos (and subsequently broke my first tank), and then I recently had a similar outbreak of Ulva that prompted me to remove the rocks, scrub with a soft bristle brush, and rinse in tap water. While the bleach was very effective at removing algae, it also negated any curing I had done up to that point and I was forced to start the cycle over. On the flip side, the algae scrubbing and tap water rinse debulked and killed most of the algae, but after a week or two it resurged with malignant vengeance. I needed a different option.

The big advantage for me was that I still had no corals on the rock, so it was no problem to remove the rocks and treat them holistically. I started with another scrub to try and remove as much algae as possible, but as you see it really didn’t do a ton.

IMG_2803.jpg

I then proceeded to excessively douse the hell out of these annoying green pests using this entire bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Followed by a liberal tap water rinse, then an RO/DI rinse, the rocks went back into the tank.

IMG_2804.jpg

To my surprise, it worked wonderfully, and I am still Ulva free! Though I will admit, that my Xenia coral were not very happy and looked completely pulled in for the better span of 10 days.

July 22nd.
IMG_2808.jpg

August 10th.
IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

I had what I would call a minor restart to the cycle and saw some diatoms that persisted for a couple weeks, but I seem to be coming out the other side. I am shocked to say that I might actually be approaching a more stable, mature tank. I have my doubts, and I’m waiting for something else to go wrong, but I’ll take what I can get! Hopefully this can inform anyone else who is considering utilizing hydrogen peroxide to battle algae.

I’ll leave you with a little sneak peak of someone who is doing great in the tank.

IMG_3136.jpg

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like quite a bit has happened since the last update and the tank is actually starting to look like a real reef tank! But before any updates on the tank’s status, I just wanted to post some pictures regarding my experience with nuisance algae and hydrogen peroxide.

I had read in multiple different posts that one possible solution to clear nuisance algae was to spray the problem areas with hydrogen peroxide. The obvious benefit to this treatment was that the byproducts of hydrogen peroxide are water and air, totally inert and reef safe (chemistry warning to avoid feeling triggered):

2H2O2 -> H2O + O2​

In case you haven’t discovered yet in your reef career, water and oxygen are considered beneficial in your tank. Most threads detail this approach for problem “patches” of algae, describing either filling a bulb syringe with hydrogen peroxide and target-spraying the patch under water, or even better yet, draining the tank below the level of the problem algae and spraying the algae while exposed. This is all good and fun if you have a spot or two, but when your rocks look like so, it requires a more thorough approach.

IMG_2801.jpg

The dreaded macro algae outbreak, in my case sea lettuce, or Ulva. This was July 21st.

IMG_2802.jpg

This is not the first time my rocks have been in this state either. If you have read through my sad story, you’ll recall I once bleached my rocks and completely started over due to what I suspected was dinos (and subsequently broke my first tank), and then I recently had a similar outbreak of Ulva that prompted me to remove the rocks, scrub with a soft bristle brush, and rinse in tap water. While the bleach was very effective at removing algae, it also negated any curing I had done up to that point and I was forced to start the cycle over. On the flip side, the algae scrubbing and tap water rinse debulked and killed most of the algae, but after a week or two it resurged with malignant vengeance. I needed a different option.

The big advantage for me was that I still had no corals on the rock, so it was no problem to remove the rocks and treat them holistically. I started with another scrub to try and remove as much algae as possible, but as you see it really didn’t do a ton.

IMG_2803.jpg

I then proceeded to excessively douse the hell out of these annoying green pests using this entire bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Followed by a liberal tap water rinse, then an RO/DI rinse, the rocks went back into the tank.

IMG_2804.jpg

To my surprise, it worked wonderfully, and I am still Ulva free! Though I will admit, that my Xenia coral were not very happy and looked completely pulled in for the better span of 10 days.

July 22nd.
IMG_2808.jpg

August 10th.
IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

I had what I would call a minor restart to the cycle and saw some diatoms that persisted for a couple weeks, but I seem to be coming out the other side. I am shocked to say that I might actually be approaching a more stable, mature tank. I have my doubts, and I’m waiting for something else to go wrong, but I’ll take what I can get! Hopefully this can inform anyone else who is considering utilizing hydrogen peroxide to battle algae.

I’ll leave you with a little sneak peak of someone who is doing great in the tank.

IMG_3136.jpg

awesome sauce, hope your tank stays pest algae free!

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so nice man! I love your turtle! I was going to get a clam in the future, but now I think I want a smiling turtle. :)
Glad you like it! My toddlers found the turtle and the pineapple and simply refused to leave the store without them. lol. The plan is to pull the plug of radioactive dragon eyes off the turtle and leave some heads behind so they will grow flat over the shell. The leather has also been pretty happy on top of the pineapple so we can’t complain. The big female claimed the pineapple as her home on day one and has never left.
42FC93FA-96E2-43DC-8029-023628A1175A.jpeg
0646C7A3-F18D-44D7-AD53-A1737B6E61FF.jpeg

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah he’s been super happy since he walked over there and made himself at home. Now if I could just convince these clowns the BTA is a better host than the hairy mushrooms...

8C9C1118-BA13-4001-BC70-934F7113839D.jpeg

lol good luck with that, it took months before my clowns decided to try the anemone, and even now they prefer the zoas.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking fantastic! That algae outbreak was nasty, but you recovered well. I’ve been there before.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone deserves a great tank, it is you. I love all the work you have put in and that you fought through the issues and did not give up!

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't be an update if there wasn't at least one set back. My beautiful anemone decided to crawl up into the powerhead and distribute little chunks of his tissue throughout the tank. A service I could have done without. He has been missed, but not by the clowns of course, because they never paid him any attention. They prefer to sleep in the pineapple.

So here are some BTA free update shots of the reef as it stands. I am just beginning to start fragging and selling off corals in preparation for the move. I am also trying to gather different kinds of zoas for the next project, which is still a ways down the road. Sneak peak included.

https://youtu.be/B_WhTeNEYkA

IMG_6496.jpg
IMG_6501.jpg
IMG_6498.jpg
IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

Cheers!

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty much over at this point. Most of the coral is gone, the more valuable pieces I wanted to keep have been sent to Utah. The tank has been cleaned and I'm collecting raffle tickets through the local facebook group to make some profit off the system. All in all, I am doing very well parting out the system, but sad to see it go. Fred and George and the remaining coral currently sits on my kitchen counter in a 10 gallon tank. My only hope here is that the next tank build will have a little less stress involved. :p

IMG_6690.jpeg
IMG_6796.jpeg
IMG_6844.jpeg
IMG_6851.jpeg
IMG_6863.jpeg
IMG_6874.jpeg
IMG_6852.jpeg

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is up and running in a different part of the country! Custom built the cabinet and canopy, just waiting on a zoa rock I’ve been growing in my parent’s tank to find its way out here. Already had one shipping mishap so we’ll see. :)

0D80B795-B4CE-442C-B564-20C56F5F6BD2.jpeg
A19828EA-A05F-4052-B666-16DED4CDB700.jpeg

Last edited:

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By a fluke of luck I ended up with zero patients today and have just spent the better part of the last two hours reading through this entire thread while avoiding doctors. It's been quite the adventure! I can't wait to see what happens next!

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By a fluke of luck I ended up with zero patients today and have just spent the better part of the last two hours reading through this entire thread while avoiding doctors. It's been quite the adventure! I can't wait to see what happens next!
Well I hope you enjoyed it!! Had some downtime between patients myself and figured why not post it up. :)

I’d have my zoas already, but the box started leaking before they even left the facility, so it was rejected. Sat all night until my dad could go back and get it. But zoas don’t care so we’re good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back