how of water have u spilled

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know those float valves fail on occasion too, like when you leave for the weekend and come home late and there is that awful squish sound when you open the door and walk inside, boy that is fun fun fun

JiggyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know those float valves fail on occasion too, like when you leave for the weekend and come home late and there is that awful squish sound when you open the door and walk inside, boy that is fun fun fun

yup, and i was just thinking about getting one too, NVMD!

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yeah, that's why i was curious if these folks were using one. i've always heard of floats failing, but have yet to experience it myself. would be interesting to see some statistics within the hobby!

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping tanks a long time but my worst was after a small earthquake in Virginia of all places. We have had 3 in here that I remember. It split my 125 gallon Discus tank. The worst thing was my Townhome had an apartment below it. ooops.
I missed work that day.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to flood my furnace room regularly with RO/DI until I ran my RO/DI line through my crawlspace and put a float valve in the top off container. Smooth sailin so far and man, my back thanks me for it since I don't have to carry buckets anymore. Probably the best upgrade I've made on the system, even more so than the Vortechs.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflowed the my RO/DI barrels several times in the basement. I have a painted concrete floor on that side of the basement so no harm as the water just went down the drain. On the other hand when I first set up my reef I had a coralife ss 125 hanging on the outside of my sump that would overflow when I wasn't home and fill up the bottom of the stand and then leak through onto my hardwood floors ......:beat_shot:

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to flood my furnace room regularly with RO/DI until I ran my RO/DI line through my crawlspace and put a float valve in the top off container. Smooth sailin so far and man, my back thanks me for it since I don't have to carry buckets anymore. Probably the best upgrade I've made on the system, even more so than the Vortechs.

+1

I ran 1/4" through the wall from my laundry room, through my basement ceiling, to underneath the tank into my top-off container with a float valve.
I spilt 5 gallons here or there back in the day when I first started out. I won't turn ANY water on unless it is controlled by a $12 float valve. Go to airwaterice.com

That is my #1 all time favorite as far as upgrades to automating the tank.
I am teeing the line off tomorrow so I can put it to the basement location of where the new tank is going to go.

Drywall is being put up on Monday! Getting there...

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me and a freind was setting up a brand spankin new 125 for a older couple that just spent about $2000 on setup and was adding rock and he dropped a 20+pound piece and it bounced off another piece and hit the front glass geez what a mess

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm amazed at the ro/di overfill stories here. do you guys not use a float valve to shut it down?

my problem is that i fill out of a 210 gallon marineland system auto salt mixing machine. so then you open the valve it keeps coming just like at the stores. Well when you walk away for just a second and that second turns into a couple hours well..... lol. not fun

gasman059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spilled 600 gallons! yikes no fun.
Now a small 20 gallon spill feels like a couple of drops LOL

yukon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the RO running once and flooded my entire laundry room and carpet in the hallway with about 20 Gallons. To make matters worse I lived in a duplex at the time and it made it's was over to the nieghbors side and flooded his laundry room and storage closet too:squigglemouth:

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm amazed at the ro/di overfill stories here. do you guys not use a float valve to shut it down?

Our RO vat was ten ft tall and it had an float valve but it gravity fed our salt vats to refill... took too long so we get side tracked. The worst is if you leave the pump on to pump the RO to the vat lol I only did that once ahhahaha

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy in my local club just flooded his 2nd floor for the last time. The kitchen light fell, and the drywall on the ceiling on the 1st floor needs to be replaced!

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to my prior post, I moved my RO/DI unit from my furnace room to underneath my bathroom sink. This got everything closer to the tank and allowed me to run an RO/DO line underneath the floor to the ATO container behind the tank. I also "T'd" the line under my sink and have a spare 10 foot RO/DI line for making fresh RO/DI for water changes. All I do is put a Rubbermaid 18 gallon in the shower now and run the line in there, so when (not if) it overflows, it just goes down the drain...and believe me, I find it overflowing 80% of the time...out of sight, out of mind. My carpets and hardwoods thank me for making this upgrade.

OP
OP
W

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive regularly droped a five gallon buck on my wood floor about every two weeks so i relackered it with three coats to make sure

OP
OP
W

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and for some people how have spilled more than my droplets how do u clean up 600 gallons

EMTDIVER16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right before christmas i had a 95 wave tank that gave way! Also had a 30 gallon fuge underneath, all bone dry before the power strip shorted out. still rebuilding the house to this day! here is a pic of the tank :

100_0971.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right before christmas i had a 95 wave tank that gave way! Also had a 30 gallon fuge underneath, all bone dry before the power strip shorted out. still rebuilding the house to this day! here is a pic of the tank :

Wow that sucks!

Was Brian over the yesterday/today helping build the new stand?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back