How often do you did seaweed for. Foxface?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Foxface to my tank and started feeding some seaweed to supplement his diet. My LFS recommended Dr. G’s, how often and how much seaweed should I add?

Sorry for the typos in the title, I was using my iPhone's dictation feature. :(

1622766933070.jpeg

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily or every 2 days. Fold a piece of the sheet several times and use a clip or something similar.
They will destroy it!
Foxfaces are "reef safe with caution"... keep him well fed!

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori almost every day. It last a few minutes and is gone. I have a large orange spotted rabbitfish, he really tears into it.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a 1/4 sheet per day should do. If you only have 1 foxface and no other herbivores such as tangs, then you may want to use a bit less.
I've found that if I use too much nori, the po4 and no3 start to increase and I see nori frags decaying in the tank.
You'll have to tweak based on how much they eat and how much they graze. I sometimes just put a really small piece to keep the fish "busy"...
Fold it well and clip it tight will help with the "floaties"

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the bulk Nori sheets from Amazon. I have them cut into 2”x3” strips. I have a Sailfin Tang, Japanese Swallowtail angel, had a Foxface (keyword had) and a dozen or so other fish, but these were the 3 main seaweed eaters and was feeding 8 strips a day (2 feedings of 4 strips). The Foxface was always right there eating off the clips and then he went rogue and started eating zoas and GSP (most people wouldn’t complain about the GSP but I can barely get it to grow) so he had to be evicted. He was very fat so I’m thinking well fed but he decided to go rogue anyhow. Just keep an eye on your corals.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are weird I guess.

I have a foxface and a yellow tang.

I cut a strip about 3" long and 1" wide and put that to a magnetic clip on my glass. Usually every other day, sometimes every day. I place it in the lowest flow corner of my tank, otherwise the pumps just rip it out of the clip in short order.

The fish never finish it though, I always catch my big turbo snails or tiny stars munching on it at lights out.

I've had the foxface for several months now and he wouldn't even touch the nori until I added the yellow tang a month or so ago. Before the tang, the foxface never seemed to care about the nori. Them once I added the tang those two are all over it, but they still don't finish it.

On rare occasions the snails don't even finish it and I find it still there but mushy and wasting away the next morning.

The nori I use is omega one brand, green version.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$12 or $13.
Next time you're in your favorite grocery store... go down the Asian isle and look for Nori Sheets made of roasted seaweed....that people buy to make sushi rolls.

Most packs come in 10 or 25 sheets.

Buy those. Same basic stuff that your LFS is selling.

I've been feeding Tangs that stuff for 15yrs.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the bulk Nori sheets from Amazon. I have them cut into 2”x3” strips. I have a Sailfin Tang, Japanese Swallowtail angel, had a Foxface (keyword had) and a dozen or so other fish, but these were the 3 main seaweed eaters and was feeding 8 strips a day (2 feedings of 4 strips). The Foxface was always right there eating off the clips and then he went rogue and started eating zoas and GSP (most people wouldn’t complain about the GSP but I can barely get it to grow) so he had to be evicted. He was very fat so I’m thinking well fed but he decided to go rogue anyhow. Just keep an eye on your corals.
I too HAD a foxface. He was well fed and still ate 2 of my best trachys. Lost almost $1k in coral due to a "reef safe" foxface. He was evicted and was quite lucky not to end up as a snack for my cat...

Keep a close eye on your coral, even if he's well fed!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back