How often do you dose amino acids?

fishboy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a bottle of seachem reef plus and i dose once a week, and i dose phytoplanton weekly.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 2ml of brightwell a day. I used to mix it in my food cup with the thawed frozen food, reef chili, and whatever else I’m feeding.

For about a month now, Ive been just broadcast feeding the 2ml into the tank about 15 minutes before feeding, my lps - specifically the candy cane corals start to react and send out their feeder tentacles.

Is it helping with growth? Idk to me everything has been growing very well and looking nice. But I also have been taking great care of my tanks for the past few months, better than I have in the past which I would say plays the biggest part.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! I have a larger mixed reef. 350 gallon display, with probably 20 or so "sticks" and 3 plump colonies of acans, some Euphillia, dendros, and Galaxea coral as well as an elegence coral. The Oldest coral I have is a favia. It's grown maybe 2 new mouths. Started with 4 has around 6 now after 15 months or so.

At this rate, I'll be 90 before the Favia is more than 3 inches in size. Reading through this thread it looks like there's anecdotal evidence that aminos may help with LPS growth as well as SPS? I've got excellent polyp extentions. I've mixed a Bottle of maxAminos into my custom made fish food. And my Acans are all wide open when I feed that food. Just wondering if adding in coralaminos or some other amino designed for corals would aid acan growth as well as others? I would like to also enhance colors.

I've got a Plate coral about 6 inches around, but it's completely white. Probably close to 30 tentacles come out at night, but it's pure white. Would like to try to color it up as well if possible.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can provide some more anecdotal evidence in favor of aminos.
Picked up some "rescue" corals cheap from my LFS (in really bad shape b/c of the shutdown) and tossed 'em in QT. One is a 6"+ Scoly that had severe tissue recession, bleaching, gaping (missing) mouth and no feeding response, even with reef roids offered daily.
No improvement for over a week, so I tried AB+, twice daily (after AM ramp and a little after lights out).
I'm now at day 5 on AB+: half the color is back, mouth is 3/4 back to normal, and I saw a tentacle come out tonight.
Definitely more than coincidence.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you target feed? Or broadcast? I noticed most of my coral mouths and tentacles are out right after lights out. I was thinking best time to dose aminos would be then as a broadcast feeding.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got to the end of the thread and had to go back and look at what the OP was actually asking. Whew! All they asked was do you dose, none of that other science 'stuff'. I can answer the OP. I do dose. It has taken me about 3 months to use a bottle of Selcon in a 200 litre total volume. I have used Selcon for years now, but I am done with them. There are too many new products to stick with that old school product. I started looking around for it's replacement but the first stop on that journey what this thread. I dose heavy Amino Acids, I dose within the few 2 hours of lights on and last 2 hours of lights off. I have it mixed in with Emeralds Entre for the last 2 weeks. My tank is lightly stocked with only 2 medium Chromis and a yellow clown goby. Do I think I may be wasting some of it? I don't think about it. I ASSUME that my oversized protein skimmer will easily strip the water of it.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently started dosing acro power off a Kaemor X1 pump($60). Its cheap and tiny and has worked flawless. It's bluetooth and the app is solid! You can daisy chain them and run off 1 power supply. I plan to get another to dose NOPOX as my nitrates (25) and phosphates(.26) arent coming down with biopellets and GFO. I also broadcast feed a tsp of ReefRoids 3 times a week with my frozen food that I feed daily.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried aminos last summer and definitely noticed a huge improvement in the red tones of my tank. The cyano it caused took many months to go away.

I have 11 non reef safe fish in my tank and my hopes of seeing increased polyp extension were low to start with.

I guess my corals realised that the aminos in the water was just the smell of food and didn't think it was worthy the risk of putting a polyp out.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly does a clam going crazy look like?

IMG_20210420_232821.jpg

Back