Summary

4EBCD16B-FEFF-4124-9EE2-59999A2B232A.jpeg

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like I said in the Selcon thread, if you're lacking it it will help. If not, it wont. If you use it and it helps, maybe you needed some. If you use it and see no change, maybe you didn't need it.

/But there is no way you can dispute that corals and fish need these substances. It's just a question of if your tank is lacking it.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So might be best to dose amino acids during the day versus at night but I didn’t read the entire study.

I stated the reason why i dosed right before lights out i always notice a spike in alkalinity uptake after lights go out with trident. My brain told me that maybe they would uptake the aminos also. Interesting read to say the least, may change the way I dose them.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So might be best to dose amino acids during the day versus at night but I didn’t read the entire study.
I stated the reason why i dosed right before lights out i always notice a spike in alkalinity uptake after lights go out with trident. My brain told me that maybe they would uptake the aminos also. Interesting read to say the least, may change the way I dose them.
I'll have to read up but it's my understanding that different corals will uptake at different times so that's why I decided to dose constantly throughout the day via ATO.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another study: https://jeb.biologists.org/content/211/6/860

A simple Google search and you’ll see that there have been studies that prove coral do utilize Amino Acids for growth purposes. Maybe those are all funded by the companies selling “snake oil”.

I think you misunderstand. Is anyone suggesting that corals don’t require amino acids, I don’t think so .... I certainly was not. What I am suggesting is that separate dosing of a commercially sold amino acid cocktail is unnecessary (just like a vitamin soak is unnecessary for fish health). I have found that my corals get all the nutrition they require from the fish foods that I provide to the tank and the minerals and trace elements from my CaRx. I ‘claim’ nothing more, nothing less.

conix67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those who dose amino acids, do you turn off your skimmer? If not, won't the skimmer take away most of what was dosed?

Conversely, can we not get the same effect by simply turning off the skimmer time to time after feeding, instead of dosing amino acids?

LPChrisB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose reef energy a & b. Just started daily and today I shut off all flow and left it suspended in the water. I thought my favia was gonna explode. Normally I leave wavemakers going and just shut off the return. Results were much different (I think better) leaving it suspended in the water. My RFA picked up and moved to the front of the tank during suspension to get in on it. It seems they really do want it. I did not see as much extension or plumpness with flow on.
20200416_152751.jpg
20200416_151603.jpg
20200416_154930.jpg

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....I'm going to ask a dumb question....is AB+ a brand name? If so, I can't find it online.

Red Sea AB+ is the new formula. Older formula is A Energy and B Energy

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I'll try splitting mine into 2 doses just to see what happens. One in the morning and one at night. Nothing else better to do with all the social distancing. See if what happens with my dKH on my Alkatronic.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try splitting mine into 2 doses just to see what happens. One in the morning and one at night. Nothing else better to do with all the social distancing. See if what happens with my dKH on my Alkatronic.

issue I have is I dose more alk in the day, I’m currently doing this experiment myself to see if any changes

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading a lot of comments about dosing aminos at night or at least when the lights are off. I have read that aminos can promote photosynthesis in corals which is why I dose not long after lights have ramped up to full intensity.

Thoughts?

I guess, in line with some other comments in here, a lot of these benefits don't have 100% scientific backing so its all just relative to personal experience.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading a lot of comments about dosing aminos at night or at least when the lights are off. I have read that aminos can promote photosynthesis in corals which is why I dose not long after lights have ramped up to full intensity.

Thoughts?

I guess, in line with some other comments in here, a lot of these benefits don't have 100% scientific backing so its all just relative to personal experience.

I know aminos prepare coral for a feeding response.

It’s totally possible that that includes photosynthesis but I couldn’t tell you personally

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say there is a ton of experiments about coral growth and color in direct connection to each other.

I have no idea what that means. When I say ‘credible’, I mean test and control tanks to see if there are reproducible difference between dosed amino acids and not. I’m chuckling as I type this as I’m pretty sure there’s not, so the typical anecdotes debate that frequents these boards. Here is my amino ‘starved’ tank .....

5594DD48-5B5A-4C30-A1F1-6C53627B2D1E.jpeg
2CEFF587-6BCE-48FD-A002-731FACFB1FA4.png

Last edited:

conix67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is already referenced here but anyway - amino-acids-and-comments-on-amino-acid-supplements

Zooxanthellae are primary producers and produce all their required amino acids, with at least two being translocated to the coral host (alanine and glutamine.)

there is some evidence suggesting that uptake will be higher at night when amino acids are not produced (or produced in lesser amounts)

The benefit of AA supplementation might not be the amino acid content, but the resulting bacterial bloom (in itself a food source for many corals.) This is strictly speculative, but deserves further attention.

Not everything is conclusive but it seems that there might be some benefit of supplementation if done at night? And probably with skimmer off?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back