How often do you have to access your sump?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Still trying to figure out this sump thing. I am considering putting my sump on the floor behind my DT. Where I want the tank and the way the DT and walls of the room are situated, accessing the sump is doable, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
So, I was wondering after everything is up and running, how often should I plan on actually having to access the sump?
I realize that sumps are the way to go, especially on a 125g reef tank, but I'm still considering going with a Fluval FX6 canister, if I am going to have to access that sump more than once a week.
Thanks!
Ed

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using filter socks.. at the start of your tank, you can probably do once a week. But after your tank mature and has more fishes. You'll need to change the socks every 3/4 days.

Same situation with the Skimmer. If you tuned it right, you can probably get it to once a week.

So yes. You will need access to your sump

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24/7/365
I still dont have doors on my sump after 1.5 years, lol.
I just prefer the open design but most dont, unless they have a fish room.
Change sock and skimmer cup twice a week.
I run a carx so I can just look at the effluent and tell if my dkh is where it needs to be.
Also easy to see my bubble rate as I run no ph probe or controller.
Super easy to work in if needed.
Also no baffles.
20200505_180508.jpg

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Still trying to figure out this sump thing. I am considering putting my sump on the floor behind my DT. Where I want the tank and the way the DT and walls of the room are situated, accessing the sump is doable, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
So, I was wondering after everything is up and running, how often should I plan on actually having to access the sump?
I realize that sumps are the way to go, especially on a 125g reef tank, but I'm still considering going with a Fluval FX6 canister, if I am going to have to access that sump more than once a week.
Thanks!
Ed
Every day. Definitely put the sump somewhere you can easily access it at any time. You’ll add and remove stuff all the time as you progress. You won’t want it to be a hassle to do so any time you make changes.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I monitor my sump at least once daily. I change socks and clean my skimmer cup every 3 days. Carbon gets changed on it's own schedule. The fuge gets cleaned and/or harvested when needed. Then there's maintenance of the equipment in the sump. I like to know that my ATO is functioning properly, and a quick glance can tell me if the level in the return section is low or if the water level is too high.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of us equate the performance of the sump with the general performance of the tank and monitor the sump regularly to ensure nothing is out of whack before it affects the display. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with only checking up on the sump weekly.

You can absolutely use a canister filter instead of a sump. You just need to understand the differences between the two, and the limitations of that approach. I've never used a canister filter with a reef tank, so can't help there. There are others that have been very successful using canister filtration who can probably give better advice.

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Thanks!
Ed
I’m accessing my sump daily. If it’s not the skimmer cup then it’s the gfo carbon my filter sock. I’m alwAys in there and checking everything.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scuba,
my sump is in the basement with full access and it is on a stand so it is at viewing height. nothing but the fuge light obstructs access on top either so it is easy to deal with the skimmer, heaters, and pumps. I know many reefers have their sumps out of sight, but the point of having your equipment in the sump is to enhance the look of the display. the sump needs to be maintained or the display appearance will suffer.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super important to make maintenance as easy and accessible as possible for long term success, because there will be times where you may lose motivation and even the smallest things could keep you from doing maintenance

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check my sump daily to make sure water levels are OK. When I do a water change I check the other equipment in the sump, and it's also where I add my new salt water.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fortunate enough to have my sump in a separate fish room so most days I poke my head in and...look at stuff. It’s not that I have to but it’s part of the hobby for me.

Oh and forget about that canister. If you think accessing your sump is a pain because it has a weird placement, imagine having to clean out that canister ever other week or so.

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Thanks!
Ed
I have a good size sump below my 150 cabinet; I was very close to putting it in my basement and have a bigger one ; I am glad it’s underneath , everything is at my fingertips and I probably open it 3/4 times a day just to peek at this or that

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need easy access, also plan on spills and the occasional Leak. If you are going to put it in your cabinet, get a rubber shower pan liner from Lowe’s or H. D. Use snaps or turn buckles to hold it up. Also I’d get a battery operated water alarm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back