How often do you have to replace filter sock

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that in my system after about 2-3 days the water level within the filter sock rises. How many days do you guys run your filter socks before you notice the water level rising and need to change the filter sock? I'm trying to guage if my filter sock replacement interval is quicker than normal to decide if I want to purchase one of those automatic filter rollers.

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My timeframe is about the same, 2-3 days the water level gets to the top of the sock. However I have went up to 5 days before but I notice my toadstools leather become agitated and not creating polyp extension. Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with the sock but I feel like it does.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS made a pretty good video on the subject, and recommends every 3 to 4 days. I change mine every 3 days. I'm sure a filter roller would be more efficient and easier, (no more washing socks) but I'm not ready to make the change yet.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine twice a week. This is mostly because I carbon dose and they clog faster. If I did not carbon dose I could go 1 week before changing (clogging).

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always get a higher micron sock so it does not clog as fast.
Back in the 80's there were only micron bags and filter floss. Those bags lasted forever. I see today's filter socks like sweat socks.
Not sure when it became standard since I have been away a long time .

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like my 2-3 day replacement cycle is about normal.

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine can go 6-7 days before completely filling with water. I usually change once a week when I do my water change.

I've wondered if I should change it more often; if leaving all that GUNK in there is affecting my water parameters.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would leave mine on longer, but when the filter sock starts to get clogged, it seems to slow down the main drain so more water stays in the DT and less in the sump which causes my ato to go nuts.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did an investigates video that showed leaving your socks in longer increase nutrients. Best to rinse them out every 3-4 days max.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that in my system after about 2-3 days the water level within the filter sock rises. How many days do you guys run your filter socks before you notice the water level rising and need to change the filter sock? I'm trying to guage if my filter sock replacement interval is quicker than normal to decide if I want to purchase one of those automatic filter rollers.
Add a small piece of filter floss to each sock when changing. After 4 days, remove floss and get another 4 days out of the sock. Doubles time you get out of each sock.

Back