How often does everyone feed clown fish?

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x a day, NLS Thera A morning and night, food from my club DIY food party around noon, and new era marine grazer, or nori are almost always available. I also feed coral frenzy every other day

Last edited:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem with the term "Over Feeding". It is used too loosely, just like the term "Nutrients".

You are over feeding when the food is sinking and hitting the bottom and not being eaten. Not when your fish eats everything and gets fat.

A fish will ALWAYS beg. Eating is their main goal in life. They are opportunistic feeders. In the wild they will see a piece of food float by and eat it because they don't know when the next one will be available. In captivity, they recognize you as the main food source and will do everything possible to get your attention even if they are full. (Even if they are captive breed they will still have this instinct)

Watch how much they eat and judge if they are really hungry or not when begging. Theoretically, you should feed them as much as they will eat. (But some people's filtration may not be strong enough for the amount of waste the fish will then create) Wild fish can be very fat. Fat fish = happy fish. ;)

It's really about getting to know your tank. I have a skimmer rated for 500 gallons on a 57 gallon, so I can feed whatever the heck I want LOL. But, I am limited because I have leopard wrasse that will literally eat itself to death if I let it. (Even when it is full it will sit at the water surface making a snapping sound from biting the water to get my attention)

In short, but there too many variables for a perfect answer. It's all about getting to know your tank, your filtration, and your livestock.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people feed way too much/often.

flyingfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangerine albino clown fish and a starry blenny. They are all small. I have been feeding 2-3 times a day and it seems like it's never good enough. Whenever I am near the tank, they come up to the top as if I was feeding them. Am I under feeding or over feeding?

And the starry blenny eats everything... Should I be feeding him something in particular?

Please help! Still fairly new to the hobby.

Thank you

Omar
3ydydeva.jpg

uzevame8.jpg

e3a9uzy4.jpg

I have 2 clowns and a new starry blenny. I got him for eating algae which he did for a few days. He was stuffed full. Then he got a taste of the frozen LRS fish frenzy I feed the clowns twice daily. That's all he wants now. They all beg all day. They pick at algae too. And I add coral food once a week.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back