How often should I feed my reef tank?

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found that I had a growing pod population in my 2 month old reef tank, and the population went from a few hundred to what look like well over ten thousand in a matter of days, and my wrasse loves them. I've also found my firefish, clown, and possibly yasha goby eating them as well. The problem I'm running into with feedings is that my wrasse is rarely interested in prepared foods, and my yasha and firefish are hiders, and my clown gets most of the food as he is always out. The gobies eat good, but the clown has quite the found belly, and now that I see that he is eating pods, I'm wondering how often I should feed my tank prepared foods.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be feeding at least a cube or two a day but might tank loves them nutes and eats it up. How much you should feed is very biased toward your specific bio load and predation. Through trial and error you should be able to figure out what your tank likes

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tank? Fish only? Any corals that need feeding?
new reef tank, only 4 frags that I only got 4-5 days ago, 1 small hammer coral that's still adjusting, a frag of 7 zoa heads, 3 acan heads, and a candy cane coral

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be feeding at least a cube or two a day but might tank loves them nutes and eats it up. How much you should feed is very biased toward your specific bio load and predation. Through trial and error you should be able to figure out what your tank likes
ok, just wondering because my clown is starting to look quite round lol

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, just wondering because my clown is starting to look quite round lol
My tank is a two year old 65 gallon. (Before anyone objects to my fish list, everything is transferring to a 180 in a week or two ;) )

my fish consists of
Foxface
Purple tang
Bristle tooth tang
2 clowns
2 bangi cardinals
2 pj cardinals
Midas blenny
Melanorus wrasse
2 zebra dart fish
And a tank full of coral

I feed a half sheet of two little fishies nori daily, a cube of frozen mysis or brine, and a chunk of frozen Rods original blend about the same size of the cube daily

all the fish a fat and happy so far

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider this: am I allowed to feed the tank? If phosphate and nitrate are pretty much in check I allow myself to feed the corals once a week…

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank is a two year old 65 gallon. (Before anyone objects to my fish list, everything is transferring to a 180 in a week or two ;) )

my fish consists of
Foxface
Purple tang
Bristle tooth tang
2 clowns
2 bangi cardinals
2 pj cardinals
Midas blenny
Melanorus wrasse
2 zebra dart fish
And a tank full of coral

I feed a half sheet of two little fishies nori daily, a cube of frozen mysis or brine, and a chunk of frozen Rods original blend about the same size of the cube daily

all the fish a fat and happy so far
alarm.gif

Just kidding! Ive got a 125 with just about double that fish count and I'm looking to add more! As long as they have hiding space and room to swim and you've got nutrient export under control it's good until they grow.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently found that I had a growing pod population in my 2 month old reef tank, and the population went from a few hundred to what look like well over ten thousand in a matter of days, and my wrasse loves them. I've also found my firefish, clown, and possibly yasha goby eating them as well. The problem I'm running into with feedings is that my wrasse is rarely interested in prepared foods, and my yasha and firefish are hiders, and my clown gets most of the food as he is always out. The gobies eat good, but the clown has quite the found belly, and now that I see that he is eating pods, I'm wondering how often I should feed my tank prepared foods.
This is a very loaded question! I feed four times a day but I have to dose phosphates to keep them from bottoming out and my nitrates stay pretty well in check. My wrasse eats everything I throw at her and the rest of the fish are healthy.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very loaded question! I feed four times a day but I have to dose phosphates to keep them from bottoming out and my nitrates stay pretty well in check. My wrasse eats everything I throw at her and the rest of the fish are healthy.
yes sorry jsut wanted to get it all out at once lol. Think ill keep the feedings at once a day until I get that wrasse eating prepared foods.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back